Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
Pics

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
I have a single Call duckie named Cheddar, as many of you know. I LA-LA-LOVE this duck. She's very attached to me (comes when called, sleeps on my lap, misses me when I'm out of eyesight). She's the only surviving duck from a friend's hatch, so I agreed to raise her because I am off work for the summer. I spend every waking moment with this little cutie. But I have to go back to work soon. Sad face...

Right now, she's in a cage in my house. She also has an exercise pen and gets outside time every day.

She's now 2 months old. I had every intention of putting her outside with my main flock (5 big girl duckies and 18 chickens in a very big coop, covered run, and foraging yard). But I'm a little reticent given how attached we've become.

So...

1. I can still put her out there with my big girls (a Runner, a Swedish, a Welshie, a Saxony, and a Pekin).

2. Or I can maybe get her a buddy and keep her in the front yard adjacent to my special needs coop. Hubby may disown me, though.

3. Or I can pretty much keep her in the house forever.

Lemme know what you think I should do.
20220701_173632.jpg

20220719_193544.jpg

This is a tricky one... while getting her a buddy might be good, you couldn't know if you were getting the right duck for her... And Having her as a house duck would be amazing... And she's so attached to you..

Okay, House duck gets my vote.
Question though- will your husband disown you even more if you keep the duck inside?

This is a tricky one... while getting her a buddy might be good, you couldn't know if you were getting the right duck for her... And Having her as a house duck would be amazing... And she's so attached to you..

Okay, House duck gets my vote.
Question though- will your husband disown you even more if you keep the duck inside?
Not at all. He loves Cheddar, too. Calls her Chedda.

I have a single Call duckie named Cheddar, as many of you know. I LA-LA-LOVE this duck. She's very attached to me (comes when called, sleeps on my lap, misses me when I'm out of eyesight). She's the only surviving duck from a friend's hatch, so I agreed to raise her because I am off work for the summer. I spend every waking moment with this little cutie. But I have to go back to work soon. Sad face...

Right now, she's in a cage in my house. She also has an exercise pen and gets outside time every day.

She's now 2 months old. I had every intention of putting her outside with my main flock (5 big girl duckies and 18 chickens in a very big coop, covered run, and foraging yard). But I'm a little reticent given how attached we've become.

So...

1. I can still put her out there with my big girls (a Runner, a Swedish, a Welshie, a Saxony, and a Pekin).

2. Or I can maybe get her a buddy and keep her in the front yard adjacent to my special needs coop. Hubby may disown me, though.

3. Or I can pretty much keep her in the house forever.

Lemme know what you think I should do.
View attachment 3209052
View attachment 3209048
I think you know what is best for your sweet cheddar! You have to get her out of the house with a ducky friend soon. By soon, I mean last week. I had a hand raised muscovy last year. My dear Daffy. He forgave me for putting him out of the house at 7 weeks with ducky friends I got from a wildlife rehabber. He still comes to me -- I rarely have to call him as he hears me coming. He still sits at my side -- or behind me when he wants to preen my hair.

But if you do not get Cheddar out with a friend now, Cheddar will be very unhappy when you go back to work.

I would risk the ire of your husband for a month or so if you can find a similar sized duckling friend and keep them separate from your flock for two months. By 16 weeks they should integrate well with your flock.

Tell your husband your duck raising friend say front garden with a ducky friend for 2 months and blame it on me

Last edited:
Has she been interacting with your bigger ducks at all? I would at least see how she does with them. That will at least give you a better educated decision.

I would lean towards having a friend of any kind. She will get lonely when you go back to work. I think a lone duck can work if they are like a therapy duck and stay with the person all the time. The two I have are unhappy with me being at work today. They seem to prefer women over men.

Has she been interacting with your bigger ducks at all? I would at least see how she does with them. That will at least give you a better educated decision.
I'll give this a go later today. The chickens make me nervous, too. My Naked Neck can be very hard on new additions. I'll let them see each other.

I agree with Ruthhope. Keeping Cheddar in the house while you're gone will be hard on both of you, and you'll both end up being miserable. Up front with a friend for *ahem* a few months will get both of you acclimated to the new situation and you can easily go and cuddle her.

Hubby will get over it. ;) I know my daughter forgives me each time I bring a new critter home, lol! Last batch of ducklings I got, she immediately took possession of one!

Back
Top Bottom