What to do for my coop?

Capto Veritas

Songster
Apr 26, 2021
North Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 hens and a small coop. I have a slide out tray that goes here, on top of the metal bars:
1F06B474-BF02-4F4F-8FA5-5FF6091D0B55.jpeg

It is not there right now. I want to know if I should put chicken wire/keep it open where the black supports are instead of putting the black tray in. If I do that I could add more roosts. Would there be more ventilation? Should I do that or put the tray back in?

That's one of those little Producer's Pride coops, right?

Leaving the tray out would probably improve both the ventilation and the elbow room.

Chickens don't stack for storage so vertical space is *usually* mainly a consideration for getting the ventilation in the right place, but it looks like it might be a squeeze for the hens to get under the roost to access the nests. I wouldn't put any floor in there at all.

Instead, put extra wire around the outside to improve the security of the entire structure.

IIRC, your coop is in a sheltered place that doesn't get strong winds, right?

North Georgia mountains might get a little colder a winter than I do, but the roost area should be sufficiently sheltered. If necessary you could put a windbreak outside the wire if you find that blowing rain/snow is causing trouble.

That's one of those little Producer's Pride coops, right?

Leaving the tray out would probably improve both the ventilation and the elbow room.

Chickens don't stack for storage so vertical space is *usually* mainly a consideration for getting the ventilation in the right place, but it looks like it might be a squeeze for the hens to get under the roost to access the nests. I wouldn't put any floor in there at all.

Instead, put extra wire around the outside to improve the security of the entire structure.

IIRC, your coop is in a sheltered place that doesn't get strong winds, right?

North Georgia mountains might get a little colder a winter than I do, but the roost area should be sufficiently sheltered. If necessary you could put a windbreak outside the wire if you find that blowing rain/snow is causing trouble.
Yep! Thank you! It is one of those coops.

What about for the winter though? I live around 400 Atlanta area.

How often do you get measurable snow?

If you're like me, with some years never getting more than a dusting and maybe getting 3 snowfalls in 2 years most of the time they don't need to be enclosed, just protected from wind that could ruffle their feathers.

Back
Top Bottom