What to do for ringworm on dogs stomach!

Dogs can get ringworm, but what people usually think is ringworm is more often something else (this is straight from the derm department, but I will check in with them today if you would like). It's far more common in cats and cats may not even show any lesions. I do believe there is a microsporum and a trichopyton species that dogs can get.

While not as common, dogs can definitely get ringworm. A friend brought home a symptomless cat from the shelter and both her dogs and other cat came down with it.
You can always treat as ringworm or a lesion or injury and if it doesn't improve, check with your vet.

I spoke with derm this morning and got some really good information.

Ringworm is generally less common in dogs than it is in cats, but it can depend on the area. Generally, lesions begin in haired skin because ringworm is a disease of the hair, but it can spread to other areas such as the ventrum. However, it would be very rare for ringworm to start on the belly. Occasionally it can show up as the red ring, but black fly bites will have the red spot in the center where the fly bit and ringworm would not. Black fly bites are also common in the groin and underbelly because flies cannot bite through hair.

The only definitive way to know is by taking the dog to the vet and running a culture of the spot. Some species of ring worm light up under a special lamp, but not all of them do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom