What to do - found duckling & now it's a BIG PROBLEM

I'd definitely call up and ask for legal advice on the situation, like mentioned above. You still don't know whether or not its a wild mallard, and that could be the excuse used. How tough are your laws up there?

When I was a teenager, I raised some Canada geese "illegally". Everyone in a 50 mile radius knew, my geese and I were even featured on the local news, and we were never bothered by the police or DNR. I think that even though it's technically illegal, laws like that aren't really enforced unless you're keeping a rare species.

Well, the duckling was very loving and friendly until about the last week when it started to just run away from people. I'll have to tell them to look into the other duck breeds, but it sounds like it might be wild. My problem is that I can just see it as an excuse for my neighbors to complain about my birds if they ever realized that what I had might possibly be of questionable legality.
As for the duck's sake, though, it now seems to want to be set free. I think that they are starting to realize that it doesn't want to be kept in a fenced in area for the rest of its life. I am quite worried as to its fitness for life on its own after it has gotten used to people and animals. Can such a duck be successfully freed? I can't free-range it due to local laws and a huge number of farm cats that roam freely here. When I talked to them they said that they are trying to find someone who deals with wildlife, but I'm still worried about what will happen to a duck that was raised by people. I've read online that if you find a baby duckling you should have virtually no contact with it, and that ducks imprint on people if they're raised by humans. This poor baby has probably only seen another duck once or twice in all its life.

Hmm. What about a park? One time, a pair of half-grown Canada goslings were given to me by people who didn't have the resources to keep them. They weren't wild... but weren't completely tame either. Once fall came around and they'd practiced flying enough, we released them in a city park that had a resident flocks of ducks and geese as well as being a "hotel" for migrating birds on their way south.
We checked on them several times, and easily incorporated themselves in with the birds already there who must've shown them the way south because they were gone all winter - but came back in the spring!

I don't think this can be done in the spring, though. Wait until fall when the adolescents are grouping up. Is there a way the people who raised the duck can keep him until then?

Quote:
PLEASE do not take the duck to a park and cut it loose-for one, I'm pretty sure it's illegal and it is ABSOLUTELY irresponsible.
If you can't keep the duck, try giving it away locally.
Ducks will be very friendly for the first week or so and then act fearful-that's ANY breed of duck, domestic or otherwise.

Check with your local Wildlife and fisheries. It may only cost you 10-15 dollars for a permit and you can explain your circumstances to them. I am sure you are not going to get fined for saving it but could for keeping it. In most cases they are more than willing to help unless you have a history of breaking WF laws
smile.png

I agree with lamike - see about the permit. It is not going to be expensive. I don't believe they are going to care. Pls. do not release it in a park or pond. It will not stand a chance!

Good Luck with the duckling and keep up posted.

Joni

Definitely don't release it in a park, especially at one month old. It's also not unusual for ducklings of all breeds to start running away from their human moms as they get older, so it might not be a good indicator that it's a wild duck.

To clarify, the release question wasn't because I really wanted it just to be released. I want to

1) have something to tell the "owners" (i.e. don't just release it yourself because it won't fare well)
2) think about getting the permit (or verifying the breed if that's even possible) and keeping it anyway.

Thank you all for the responses. Well, all of the responses other than the tasty duck response.
sickbyc.gif

I'm hoping that they/I will decide on something tomorrow when I see them. Will update and if I can get a pic, I'll post it.

Back
Top Bottom