What to do - found duckling & now it's a BIG PROBLEM

If it was my situation, I would raise it as intended and let it decide if it wants to be free or not when it gets older. Maybe get it a duck friend?
If the question of it being wild or not ever comes up, perhaps you could act innocent and say you did not know it was of the wild variety with all the domestic look alike breeds around? And that is true... I don't believe you DO know for 100% certainty that it is wild. If the issue arises, then go ahead, tell the story of how you got it, cooperate and ask about a permit but tell them you always thought it was domestic.
Most likely nobody is going to question this one duck.
...and yes, young ducks can go through the phase of running away from humans. This may change with time and attention. Good luck in whatever you choose to do, but please don't release it in the park.

Quote:
Just a note as to you cannot and no one else can tell the difference in wild or domestic mallard. I raise tons of them every year and provide rescue for wood ducks and mallard or any other wild ducklings. I am fully licensed, permitted and certified for this. It doesnt matter at all wether you call it domestic or wild to the LDWF it's mallard. Once this duck grows out its full flight wings unless pinioned, clipped or permanatly penned you still have the chance it will leave to the wild on it's own. Don't stress it too hard it is actually an easy process to work out
wink.png

Okay, I know this is a long time to have waited before I posted the results. It took them a long time to figure out what to do with the duck. If anyone is interested, the duck is happy and healthy. They eventually found someone who has mallards. Took them a long time to settle on what was best for the duck, but they did bring it to him finally. When they released her, she didn't join the group right away. Two other ducks started picking on her. She ran a bit and then decided that if she could take on dogs or cats she could certainly take on one of her own kind. She ran after the two that had pecked at her and "asserted herself." None of the ducks seemed inclined to pick on her after that. Now she's fairly well integrated into the group. At least she's happy where she is now.
woot.gif

Quote:
I agree, They sell wild type mallards ans even if it was wild it isn't now. It would die on it's own and considering that it is more domesticated than most mallards because it was the only duckling, I would say not to worry too much. Put a leg band on it. If it ever flies away you would be able to recognise it if it came back with a mate
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom