What to do if left with only 1 Hen?

RAI4

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
Hi,

I'm currently down to two from three hens. One turned out to be a he and not a she..LOL. I have a 6 month old Comet and a 6 month old EE. The EE has been showing signs of Mareks for a few weeks, all the usual symptoms. Hopefully she is ok. If she does not pull through, is it ok to add 2 more hens or should I only add one more. I am aware of all the risks when adding new hens to a flock. Just looking for some other opinions. Thanks. P.S - no layers as of this time.

If your EE dies, then I would recommend getting at least two more hens. Chickens don't like to live alone; at least two are necessary for their happiness, and three+ is even better. As long as you have at least three hens, if one dies, you'll still have two. There may be a bit of fighting when/if you introduce new birds, but they'll work it out in the end and be happier for it.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen with Marek's. Have you tried treating her with St. John's Wort/Hypericum? Its a plant-derived substance that can eliminate paralysis and even get rid of tumors. Here is a thread on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/135247/st-johns-wort

If your EE dies, then I would recommend getting at least two more hens. Chickens don't like to live alone; at least two are necessary for their happiness, and three+ is even better. As long as you have at least three hens, if one dies, you'll still have two. There may be a bit of fighting when/if you introduce new birds, but they'll work it out in the end and be happier for it.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen with Marek's. Have you tried treating her with St. John's Wort/Hypericum? Its a plant-derived substance that can eliminate paralysis and even get rid of tumors. Here is a thread on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/135247/st-johns-wort

X2. You should get more hens, but make sure that they are vaccinated for Marek's. This way, hopefully no more of your birds get Mareks, but your hen won't be lonely anymore.

Back
Top Bottom