what to do.. my dead chicken

Bigcrest

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
UTAH
One of my 2 chickens was killed by a dog just a little while ago.
They've been together since they were hatchlings. The other hen knows what has happened- I can tell.
I dont know what to do from here about getting another chicken for her to be with.
Do I get an adult? or a chick? when?
How can I help her?
I know it may be silly to some people,and other people understand, but I am grieving ( crying right now) over the loss.
I'm mostly grieving over they way her clutchmate is going to handle this.
PLEASE HELP with your knowledge and understanding.

This site has always led me in the right direction with advice-

I'd get another adult right away. The single hen will get neurotic otherwise.... they're such social animals! Check craigslist, post a wanted ad there, etc. In the meantime, spend as much time with the lonely hen as possible.
I'm SO sorry for your loss!
hit.gif

Hi and welcome! Sorry about your chicken. I JUST had the same thing happen, but it killed 2 out of 3 in a baby pen. These babies were big enough to be put in with some bigger ones, but I just hadn't done it yet. Well, I put her back in with mom and dad and they don't remember her, so she is picked on pretty bad, She knows she's the low one on the pecking order. I feel so sorry for her because she has had a traumatic little life so far, and nowhere is home for her! But soon she'll be big enough. Anyhoo, get another hen and put her in a cage in the pen with your one remaining hen. Keep the new one in the cage for a few days, and let them get used to being around each other. Then turn the new one loose and watch and see how they do. There will be pecking order issues. but don't let each other be a bully!

I don't know much about chicken behavior because I have ducks & geese but maybe distract her by letting her set/hatch some eggs?
It has always been easier for me to introduce young ducklings or goslings than an older bird.

Quote:
thank you for your support and advice. I'm sorry for your experience as well. Where would I look for another hen- do I get the same age hen?
These were my pets, my girls-I called them....very traumatic.
I'm hesitant in getting an adult hen because of the closeness these 2 had. a baby may be ok if I can find one?

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
You may be able to find a chick friend for her at your feed store. This is the time that feed stores and Tractor Supply Stores are getting in chicks for Easter. If all else fails you can check out MyPetChicken.com I understand they will ship small numbers of chicks. Also, check in the Buy/Sell/Trade category in the index on this forum, you may find someone close to you might have some for sale, or post a want add.

Not a good idea to get a baby. Hens, even lonely ones are very territorial and the older one may/will harm the baby. Even another adult will have trouble at first, so don`t be alarmed. Things will smooth out in time providing they have sufficient room to get away from each other. Good luck.......

This is almost exactly what happened to me.
Luckily I got a baby chicken the next day so she wasn't lonely. I could tell she was depressed and was always looking around for him but never could find him.

should I just try to introduce the oldest of chicks I can find just to get her some company as of now?

Hello and welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about your loss.

When I first had chickens, I had a Roo, a Hen, and a Grown Chick. Someone had to move and we took their pets. Well, we found out that dogs like chickens, too much. Short story, I had a Rooster, the Hen and the young chick rooster were gone. I cried and faced the same delima.

When spring came, I bought five pullet chicks, Leghorns. The Rooster raised them and was a great parent. I still have that Rooster today.

But, now I do not have three chickens, I have over 60 chickens. You learn that you have to rehome some birds, taking away that partner bird. You find that they do adapt. Some die. It is all sad, but life goes on. You hen may attempt to keep her eggs, or go broody...I would let her hatch if she is willing. She does all the work.

What would I do if I were you....hard to say because I do not know your goals. Getting a chick will harm, or kill the chick. Getting a hen, better option, they will fight at first for the dominate one. Getting a Roo?? Maybe not the best choice in the city.

If you go into the chatt, you may find someone in your area with an extra hen. Especially if you want a pet and not necessarily a layer. Hens tend to slow down their egg production as they age. You may get a beautiful Hen to add to your yard.

Good luck to you!!

Back
Top Bottom