What to do once butcher and cooking methods?

Heylids

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2017
Last year I found a gentleman who raised chickens and purchased some.
The following had been my experience:
1. They were quite large 5.5 to 7.6 lbs and were frozen upon butchering. I let them defrost for 2 to 4 days and I buttermilk soaked 1 for a day or so.
2. They were on the tough side, very lean and were on the dry side once cooked.
3. I used different cooking methods, cut up, browned in frying pan then added rice and broth and simmered. I have oven roasted at 325/375F and still toughies and on the dry side. I tried the crockpot and was bland and still not wonderful!! Lastly, I tried a clay roaster, where you soak the clay then add vegetables/potatoes and chicken on top, cover with the lid and roast at 400-450F. It was still on the dry tough side and again bland, lots of juice at the bottom and veg/potatoes.
4. I will arrange for the chickens not to be frozen and would appreciate direction. I would like to freeze some whole and some cut up into pieces. He should have some 3-5 lbs then he will have some 5-7lbs later on and I am thinking of purchasing a turkey, but I'm nervous about the dryish toughness of this first batch.
5. How can I best cook/bake them so their moist, tender, juice and flavourful.

All help is appreciated and if I've missed something, please let me know. Thank you for all your help.
Oh, should I be asking question

Back
Top Bottom