What to do? What to do?

JJW2018

Chirping
Sep 12, 2020
I really want to be a successful chicken farmer but I fear that the 20 hens I bought to start my flock came with some illnesses and although I am doing all I can to help my flock get well I would like some advice. Do you all think it is better to buy young chicks and raise them up rather then buying hens that are already laying. Is it easier to keep your flock healthy if you have them from a young age so you know that they have been taken care of and measures have been taken to make sure they are healthy. Also when buying young chickens if you want to end up with a rooster too should you get straight runs. Thank you in advance.

If you want a rooster go with all females, they typically always come with a rooster. Getting straight runs might end up with no hens or 2/5 hens. I would prefer to raise chicks. My chicks were much healthier than our hens.

I really want to be a successful chicken farmer but I fear that the 20 hens I bought to start my flock came with some illnesses and although I am doing all I can to help my flock get well I would like some advice. Do you all think it is better to buy young chicks and raise them up rather then buying hens that are already laying. Is it easier to keep your flock healthy if you have them from a young age so you know that they have been taken care of and measures have been taken to make sure they are healthy. Also when buying young chickens if you want to end up with a rooster too should you get straight runs. Thank you in advance.
It's better, personally to grow your own from babies. To handle them and pet and cuddle. I had took my bf's 7 chickens, none are friendly...running around my yard now, 3 months later and a few are capable of showing love but still no touching. They are set with my routine and know where the treats are. I bought 3 12 week old and again, un-handled goofy girls. Grow from day old and make them who you want them to be. Good luck friend.

I always prefer to raise them myself. That way the conditions under which they’re raised is under your control. Buying started birds, you don’t know what their conditions were like, or what health problems they might bring with them. Personally, my favorite birds are ones I’ve incubated myself. Out of all of my chickens, the ones I hatched are by far the friendliest. Of course that comes with the risk of extra roosters, but my boys are the friendliest out of all of them, which has made it easier to find good homes for the extras.

The poultry farm that I bought my newly hatched girls from told me there was a really bad "chicken cold" this year, and that they have had to treat all their girls too. They gave me medication for my ladies, and the weaker ones did die, but those that are left I know are building resistances, and will be healthier next time they get sick. It has been AMAZING being able to watch my girls grow and develop personalities. I know they will become friendlier as they get older around me VS just getting a pullet and hoping for the best.
I hope all your girls grow well, and that they can fight off the illness that is going around this year.

Not sure what your definition of "successful chicken farmer is" but I suppose it's relevant to ask what your goals are with your flock? Is this just for some eggs for you and maybe a roadside stand, or are you hoping to breed, or show, or sell hatching eggs, or....?

If any of your aspirations are commercially related (i.e. you want to resell birds), I'd cull or sell the flock you have (with full disclosure of whatever ailments they have) and then if you can figure out/deal with the illnesses (as some can remain in the environment for years, reinfecting new birds) start over with newly hatched chicks or even hatch your own eggs, to minimize biosecurity risks.

If you want to end up with 1 rooster, I would order 1 rooster. Straight run is 50/50 (more like 60/40) roo vs hens... if that's fine with you (i.e. you will eat males) then you can go that route, but if you can't bring yourself to cull males, then you need to rethink ordering straight run or hatching eggs.

I think raising babies gives you healthier adults but only if you're willing to absorb the losses as a fact of life. Didn't hatch? Died in the first 3 days? Culled for deformity? Started sneezing in the prime of laying and was put down the very next week when it didn't get better on its own? That's your sickness buffer.
If you were looking for a roo with specific traits and are willing to eat the extras I would order St. Run so you get your pick of the bunch, gives you more options. But if you were just looking for having any old roo or didn't wanna eat the extras I'd go with hens and keep any oopsy roo you get.

most of farming animals or gardening just takes experience and doing it multiple times .. also starting smaller lets you figure out in a less stressful way what it will take to go larger and/or sustainable ... that said, 4-5 birds is a very good starting point .. if you got a rooster and an incubator, even a small 12 egg auto, you can expand to whatever size flock you want real quick after they mature lol ... and stay sustainable ..theres alot to learn though just in their behavior and how to handle them .. 20 birds to me is a BIG flock .. thats alot of birds .. i already toss eggs by the dozen out to the crows with '4' layers ...

I enjoyed getting my girls at 2 days old direct from a hatchery and picking them up at a feed store. I learned from not knowing anything but studied reverently watching videos that were helpful way before I got my chicks. I wanted 3 or 4 chicks but I got 7 just in case any didn't make it. I still have 7 chickens. So much to learn, starting with teaching them to eat and drink. I have enjoyed it and at times wondered what I got myself into. It is a lot to take care of, a lot to learn, keeping everything clean and really taking care of them is important. Yes it is not that time consuming after you get set up but investing time in care taking pays off. I love my girls, they are our pets now. I am always enjoying running out to see how they are doing. I do not want a rooster I don't know if there is a disadvantage to not having one but I chose not to. I got my chickens basically because I want my own eggs. I will never toss one out because you can cook them and feed them back to your chickens and dogs or give them to friends and family. I am a mother Hen when it comes to caring for anything. So I think mine is a success story.

GOOD LUCK you have found the correct place to ask questions. Backyard chickens has helped me every step of the way.

There's pros and cons to both.

It can take several months for them to start laying. So if you need them for food its a disadvantage to raise them from chicks.

But its also good and a learning experience to learn everything you can. And learning to care for chicks is necessary.

Another disadvantage is that chickens gain weight slower than ducks. But a good advantage is that they can handle many kinds of food including grasses and stuff like that. This helps with reducing feed costs.

Back
Top Bottom