What to do when a chick pips at the wrong end of the egg?

mom2chicksandpups

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Southeast Alabama
I know this has probably been asked before, but I can't find it. What should I do (if anything) when a chick pips at the small end of the egg? I had one that pipped at the small end, which was down the whole time that I incubated the egg. I knew it was trying to come out the wrong end, which was still pointed down in an egg carton in my hatching incubator. I turned the egg over to try to help and the chick died shortly after hatching. I can't help but to feel like it was because I turned the egg over in an attempt to "help" it.

What should I have done?

Sometimes it's just nature's way of weeding out the bad ones. I however can't just sit around and watch one of my babies die. I am about to set the bator tonight with cartons for the first time. I've always just set my eggs on the floor of the bator. I plan on taking them out of the cartons for hatching.

I have had biddies make it out after pipping on the wrong end but I usually end up helping them out a little. I always wait until they have gone at least 24 hours without progress. Much longer than that and it's almost like they give up. If they are still making progress though, I will wait closer to 36-48 hours.

If u have another pip upside down in the carton, I would lay it flat as apposed to flipping it. In the nest they hatch on their sides, that's why I plan on taking them out of the cartons for hatching.

Hope this helps
smile.png

Lots of people hatch in cartons, I've done it before with great success. However, I have read that if you incubate them in cartons your should hatch in cartons, if they incubate on their sides they should hatch that way. I haven't really noticed a difference either way.

I've only had one wrong end pipper, and all I did was make sure that the place it pipped was free of fluid. It hatched on its own :)

Back
Top Bottom