What to do when chicks are in their run

tammyrolloff

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
Hi,
We let the chickens (11 of them) out of their new coop this morning. We've been keeping them in there so they get acclimated and want to go in there every night on their own. What about food and water? Do we leave it in the coop so they have to go in there and get it or is it ok to put outside with them? Just want to make sure they know where to go at night. We do NOT want to be trying to round up chickens all night!
wink.png

Thanks!

Are they in an enclosed run? Or once out of the coop are they free-ranging?

My chicken's food and water are in the run, not in the coop at all, so they really only go into the coop to sleep. And yes, from my vast experience (raised 5 girls from chicks to years ago, and added 7 more this year), but both groups just .. go to into their coop as soon as it starts to get dark. We've never had to do a round up at dusk.. (now convincing them to go into their run when they're in the yard and it starts to rain? that's a different story!)

And from day 1. We just put the new girls in their (new) coop a couple weeks ago. Kept them locked into the coop/run, but right away they marched themselves into the coop once dusk came.

I had a bit of a chicken rodeo last night trying to put them into their coop at dusk after their first stint in their run. But they're only 5-week-old chicks so I expect they'll learn.

My 13yo reports that while I was at work they got scared of a woodpecker and hid in the coop.

After reading many threads here on BYC I decided that I would have the food and water in a covered part of the run at the far end from the coop. When they're old enough I intend to let them sleep in the VERY secure run DH made if they want to since in this area heat is a bigger issue than cold.

Mines always seem to be in and roosting if i go down right around dusk to close them up in the coop. But if i decide to go a little early like i did tonight i have to round them all up and as soon as they all get in one always sneaks back out!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom