What to do when flies come.

gruntsrule

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Prescott Arizona
What you want to do when flies come is to put down some ditamatios earth. It's this white powder that is not hostile to chickens to or you.What it does is when the flies eat the stuff it will expand in their stomachs and kill them. I put it on there food and on the floor. It gets rid of them really fast so you don't need that bug repellent to do the work. Hope this helps

Even on the hottest (100°+), most humid days of summer, I never had a single fly in my coop. How can that be? Its because of the bedding I chose for my coop and my run. I use construction or all purpose sand. It is odor free, incredibly easy to clean, cheap and so very healthy for chickens. I spend less than one minute per day cleaning all of the poop out of my coop. Go here to learn all about it. I did a very comprehensive blog post about it. Switch to sand and you'll never look back again! I'm going on my 3rd year using sand and it is proven to be THE BEST!!

Kelly
✿​
Our Country Chronicles
✿​

Last edited:
I've heard sweet PDZ is easy and fly-resistant as well, as long as you keep scooping their poo. I've also hung a dried bundle of wormwood in the loft of the coop - it's exceptionally good at deterring flies, mites, fleas, ticks because they can't stand the smell of it. It's not problem-causing for your flock, either - just hang it well to where they can't eat it or you'll have some hallucinating birds on your hands.

We Switched to the sand you use it's sooo easy!! Thank you so much
smile.png
Yay!! I'm so happy for you. I knew you'd love it. I mean really...what's not to love about sand!
joy.gif

It's like just clean a kitty liter box. I now only have to change the sand like every month but now I can just go out to my chickens, clean out the sand with a sifter and BOOM I'm done. Thank you so much Kelly.

It's like just clean a kitty liter box. I now only have to change the sand like every month but now I can just go out to my chickens, clean out the sand with a sifter and BOOM I'm done. Thank you so much Kelly.

You're welcome Aaron, but no, no, no...the good news is that you don't have to change out the sand ever! Just add more when needed. With the daily cleaning, there is no need to change out the sand. One more beautiful thing about sand!!
egyptian.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom