What to do with 2 months old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by imran_uh, Aug 21, 2008.

1. imran_uh

imran_uh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Karachi, Pakistan
    I've 2 big chickens and 3 are 4 months old +/- . And i've another 2 months old chicks in a seperate brooder. Can i put the littles with the biggers? remember I have cardboard box for brooder. So i cant keep them in their neighbourhood so they can be familiar to each other.
    i'm afraid that the biggies will peck them to death.
    plzz help

2. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Pecked to death is not good. I would advise creating some kind of cage, so that the little ones are safe, but also visible. That way, they will get used to eachother. Soon, they will all be of similar size and can live together.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i second BayCityBabe's idea. let the older chickens SEE them, but not be able to attack them.

when the young ones get up in size, then let them together while supervising and checking very often.

4. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    how about if you tip the box over, make holes so the little ones can get back under but the big ones cant get threw them. that way they have a safe place to run to if it goes bad? maybe hold the box down with something, worth a try until you can come up with something else, you could corner off a section in you coop all wire, so they can see but you dont need to build any big thing??

5. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    I would also let them socialize with each other a little bit each day without a barrier. They might get pecked a little, but if you keep an eye on things, you'll be able to regulate them in case one or two gets a tad uppity.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    You might be horrified to see how quickly bigger chickens can destroy smaller birds. Don't risk it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by