What to do with a broody/clucky hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michaelsr, Mar 11, 2013.

1. michaelsr

michaelsr New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    G'day
    I currently have a clucky/broody hen who won't sit on eggs out of the main cage.....I moved her out as I didn't want her in my big cage, put her in a small cage with some eggs to sit on, and all she wants to do is get out.....!!!!!!
    Is there some reason she won't sit on eggs, most should be fertile......??????????????
    Yet when i put her in the main cage, she goes for the eggs in the egg box and stays there [​IMG]

Any suggestions are welcome

2. rachlore

rachlore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Southern US
    If you want to break this habit then i know what to do, but i'm a little stumped on her actions. To get rid of broodiness, then i suggest you collect eggs as early and as soon as possible each day. Or you can carry her around for about 10 minutes. I know a friend who does this to his chickens and he said it worked. Hope this helps!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    She's freaking out in that smaller cage because she wants to get back to her original nest. Put her back in the smaller cage WITHOUT the eggs (some fake eggs or golfballs would be best) and let her throw her hissy fit. Mine usually freak for 10 mins to a half an hour. After she's settled down, give her back her eggs. If you put the eggs in while she's throwing her fit, she'll likely break them accidentally.
    There's nothing wrong with her behavior. Its very normal. If you're planning on letting her out, she'll likely go back to her old spot if you let her out too soon. If she's got room for food, water and a place to poop the easiest thing to do is leave her in until she's established the new place as her nest site. Good luck :)
    Nikki

4. rachlore

rachlore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Southern US
    I also want to add on, when she starts laying eggs again, she will be ready to head back the the big cage.

5. cowsr4eating

cowsr4eating Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I had the same thing happen to me last summer. I finally gave up and put her back in my larger coop. I'm going to try that again this year without the eggs till she calms down. Sounds like a good plan.

6. flyinhigh

flyinhigh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    On planet
    Is there a difference in the lighting of the two locations? Is one brighter or one darker? If so she might want the lighting of the first location.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by