What to do with a dwarf chick?

Love your golden-laced babies! Thanks for the photo for comparison! :)

I purchased the eggs online from a reputable breeder. They arrived very well-packed, but I knew that hatchability was still likely to be zero to 50percent at the most because of getting shaken around in the mail. I put them under a super-broody Cochin who'd been nursing ceramic eggs. She seemed to accept the real eggs just fine (I did it in the middle of the night, LOL). However, she abandoned the real eggs after a few days. So it was incubator time!

All eggs were the same size. Four eggs pipped. My little dwarf hatched all by herself, and was very active from the start. The other three died in shell within 24 hours -- when I opened the shells afterwards, they were REALLY large chicks, much bigger than my dwarf. Two were malpositioned for hatching. None of them appeared to have enough room to move to finish hatching (I wish I'd intervened now!). No "shrink wrap" of the membrane or anything like that.

So it was an atypical situation from the start - mailing, the broody hen quitting, and then being in the incubator. Enough stress to make a dozen things go wrong!
Love your golden-laced babies! Thanks for the photo for comparison! :)

I purchased the eggs online from a reputable breeder. They arrived very well-packed, but I knew that hatchability was still likely to be zero to 50percent at the most because of getting shaken around in the mail. I put them under a super-broody Cochin who'd been nursing ceramic eggs. She seemed to accept the real eggs just fine (I did it in the middle of the night, LOL). However, she abandoned the real eggs after a few days. So it was incubator time!

All eggs were the same size. Four eggs pipped. My little dwarf hatched all by herself, and was very active from the start. The other three died in shell within 24 hours -- when I opened the shells afterwards, they were REALLY large chicks, much bigger than my dwarf. Two were malpositioned for hatching. None of them appeared to have enough room to move to finish hatching (I wish I'd intervened now!). No "shrink wrap" of the membrane or anything like that.

So it was an atypical situation from the start - mailing, the broody hen quitting, and then being in the incubator. Enough stress to make a dozen things go wrong!

She is definitely unique! :D I love Tolbunts and she is an exceptional one. ;) I think that as long as she is well taken care of and appears healthy and happy, she'll do fine. I'd advise keeping an eye on her when you do introduce her to the big chickens though. She'll need plenty of space in the coop/run so she can get away from the chickens higher up on the pecking order when she needs to. :)

I haven't had to give supplements to any of my other chickens before. I'm thinking of trying Nutri-Drench, and maybe some probiotics. Thoughts?

Keep her in a warm place with her buddy, feed her high quality feed and hope for the best. Neither is big enough to go in the hen house yet and they will still need warmth and protection. The Polish, sorry to say, may not live long. Tolblunts are notorious for never making it out of the chick stage-- very prone to disease and malnutrition. You might try giving her some meal worms.

I haven't had to give supplements to any of my other chickens before. I'm thinking of trying Nutri-Drench, and maybe some probiotics, in addition to the mealworms you recommended. Thoughts?

Do you happen to know if both parents were frizzled? Frizzle to frizzle breedings result in poor growing birds that are just never quite healthy. The frizzle gene effects more than just feathers. Two copies produces a host of internal side effects that will eventually cause a premature death.

I know this isn't my decision to make, but I would give her the best quality of life that I could for as long as you can. I know I keep saying it, but she is so cute. Maybe I feel a bond with her, I am only 5' tall and weigh 100 lbs. and I am 60 years old. I started school weighing 29 lbs and wearing a size toddler 2 dress. I was 5 years old. I've had a great life and have a 14 year old daughter. She towers over me. LOL

I know this isn't my decision to make, but I would give her the best quality of life that I could for as long as you can. I know I keep saying it, but she is so cute. Maybe I feel a bond with her, I am only 5' tall and weigh 100 lbs. and I am 60 years old. I started school weighing 29 lbs and wearing a size toddler 2 dress. I was 5 years old. I've had a great life and have a 14 year old daughter. She towers over me. LOL

I totally agree. . . I know I'm a sucker for the small or challenged chicks though... I have a Crevcouer with a crooked beak that follows me wherever I go... I love her am so glad to have her. She was underweight when I purchased her as a chick and almost died when I brought her home... but now she has an invisible string tied to my heel... and she has an even tighter one looped around my heart. ;) Sometimes the small ones don't make it... but sometimes they do... and the 'sometimes' is well worth while.View attachment 1111043

Last edited:
fullsizeoutput_29d.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom