What to do with a rooster when you don’t want fertile eggs all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP's convictions are harmless yet important to OP.

I wouldn't call it a conviction. Being a vegetarian or a vegan or pescatarian is a conviction.
Not understanding the nature of the food item is a failure of research and logic.

The problem with the idea that everyone should remain completely neutral and quiet is that they are spreading misinformation in the process.

Next thing there will be an anti-fertile egg movement keeping normal BYC keepers from successfully selling fertilized eggs for eating. Imagine what a drag that would be... and when it comes to animal welfare, wouldn't accomplish a thing.

So I am getting 4 silkies soon (I’m a first time chicken mom) and I have questions about fertile and infertile eggs.

I am a vegetarian so I can’t eat fertile eggs. The issue is that I do want babies just not all the time. What do I do with the male. These are the options I have come up with.

- male has a separate area away from females unless it’s baby making time.

- borrow a friend’s male when I want babies.

-just nix the plans on chicks and be sad lol

- can I keep a diaper on him….I’m grasping for any idea

What are your thoughts? Any creative ideas not listed? I appreciate any help. Thank you ❤️
I agree with a fertile egg not being meat. As long as you are removing the eggs daily and the hens aren’t sitting on them, you would be fine.
There is no stopping the rooster if you have one. It probably isn’t the best to keep him separated as he would be stressed out as the rooster does more then make eggs fertile. The hens would also stress every time they re-introduce.
I would suggest if you still didn’t want fertile eggs, then when you are ready to incubate you can buy fertile eggs online or locally. Be prepared for roosters on you hatch!

I wouldn't call it a conviction. Being a vegetarian or a vegan or pescatarian is a conviction.
Not understanding the nature of the food item is a failure of research and logic.

The problem with the idea that everyone should remain completely neutral and quiet is that they are spreading misinformation in the process.

Next thing there will be an anti-fertile egg movement keeping normal BYC keepers from successfully selling fertilized eggs for eating. Imagine what a drag that would be... and when it comes to animal welfare, wouldn't accomplish a thing.
OP's conviction appears, to me, to be that a fertilized egg is potential life and therefore accorded the same grace that she'd extend to a chicken. If you want to conflate one person's comment about not wanting to eat a fertile egg with an imagined potential movement to not buy or eat fertile eggs, embrace the opportunity and start selling infertile eggs at a markup. Advertise them as "truly vegetarian" and explain why. Make a mint. Get rich. This promises to be bigger than MLM essential oils.

I don't eat any products containing GMOs, and I don't eat things packaged in plastic (as much as is possible today). I don't suffer people who tell me that GMOs are indistinguishable from heirloom/heritage/conventional fruits, veggies, meats, etc. My convictions on such are based on my own research and are unshakable. If you disagree, fine. Live your life, and I'll live mine even though some others might believe my conviction, issued in public, might cause a kerfuffle amongst people who believe differently.

Also, BYC is a discussion board- I'd hope people would be open to debating whether fertility impacts suitability for vegetarian diets.

Make a mint. Get rich. This promises to be bigger than MLM essential oils.

I'm sorry, but I have to again point out the lack of logic. The cheapest eggs in the store are unfertilized, from battery cage hens.
Probably what OP has been choosing to ensure they only eat one genders reproductive products.

Also, BYC is a discussion board- I'd hope people would be open to debating whether fertility impacts suitability for vegetarian diets.

That works both ways.
You essentially told Chookwagn to hush with the factual information in deference to OPs "conviction".

I'm sorry, but I have to again point out the lack of logic. The cheapest eggs in the store are unfertilized, from battery cage hens.
Probably what OP has been choosing to ensure they only eat one genders reproductive products.

That works both ways.
You essentially told Chookwagn to hush with the factual information in deference to OPs "conviction".

You took my suggestion to market unfertilized eggs as the real deal vegetarian option seriously?!? Impressive.

Also, I told Chookwgon that OP's conviction was OP's business and it has literally no impact on anyone else in the world but somehow you developed some turf war between pro- and anti- fertilized egg supporters that would suck up BYC bandwidth from the usual million threads on "my chickens don't like me", "my chick pooped; is that normal?" and "can hens turn into roosters?".

To avoid getting on a mod's naughty list by being tempted into a coarser tone, I'm blocking you.

Thank you to those who actually answered my question and helped me figure out the best option for my new chicken family. That was what I had wanted help for.

At no point did I ever ask for opinions about me being a vegetarian and what I will and will not eat. I also did not give anyone else my opinion on their own diet and what you have chosen to eat or not eat. I also did not state where I get my eggs from now or where the babies will be going. I didn't write anything else about myself and my experience with animals both pet, farm, exotic or anything else. You don't know my background. Frankly, it's no one's business on here unless I decide to tell you.

This was my very first post and I am disappointed. I had planned to put my coop build up and get help or opinions from that but I am afraid to even try.

Thank you to those who actually answered my question and helped me figure out the best option for my new chicken family. That was what I had wanted help for.

At no point did I ever ask for opinions about me being a vegetarian and what I will and will not eat. I also did not give anyone else my opinion on their own diet and what you have chosen to eat or not eat. I also did not state where I get my eggs from now or where the babies will be going. I didn't write anything else about myself and my experience with animals both pet, farm, exotic or anything else. You don't know my background. Frankly, it's no one's business on here unless I decide to tell you.

This was my very first post and I am disappointed. I had planned to put my coop build up and get help or opinions from that but I am afraid to even try.
I'm sorry your first posting experience on BYC wasn't our best. I do agree that things got a little out of hand.

I would still try posting about your coop. The experts over there will be a different crowd. Nice, respectable people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom