What to do with a rooster when you don’t want fertile eggs all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganandersen13

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2023
Florida
So I am getting 4 silkies soon (I’m a first time chicken mom) and I have questions about fertile and infertile eggs.

I am a vegetarian so I can’t eat fertile eggs. The issue is that I do want babies just not all the time. What do I do with the male. These are the options I have come up with.

- male has a separate area away from females unless it’s baby making time.

- borrow a friend’s male when I want babies.

-just nix the plans on chicks and be sad lol

- can I keep a diaper on him….I’m grasping for any idea

What are your thoughts? Any creative ideas not listed? I appreciate any help. Thank you ❤️

I don’t eat meat and a fertile egg potentially is meat.
Well, a fertile egg is only meat if it gets incubated? I’m a vegan, and though i don’t eat eggs, i would still eat fertile eggs if i did. It isn’t meat, and technically a normal egg is potentially meat since it holds the possibility to be fertile which is the possibility to be meat. It isn’t cruel or inhumane, it won’t in the slightest taste different either.

I’m not trying to change your view on anything by all means, but just take this into consideration.

A fertile egg is simply the mark of a rooster, there is psychically 0 difference other then a bullseye on the egg. It isn’t a chick, it doesn’t feel pain, it doesn’t have veins, nothing.

If you still consider it to be meat then i don’t think a rooster is a good option for you, i’m sorry.

Last edited:
As a former vegan, I understand your concern but a fertile egg isn’t potential meat. If it isn’t warmed up, it won’t develop. If dirt has seeds in it but they haven’t sprouted, they are potential plants but they aren’t plants. If it isn’t given water or sunlight, it won’t develop.

If you really feel strongly about it, I would forego a rooster. Adding & removing will be too hard on the flock. You can always purchase fertile eggs (usually cheap on craigslist) if you want to hatch chicks.

Thank you for being helpful. I really appreciate it. What is your opinion on bringing a rooster over when we would like chicks? My friend has about 40 silkies and I can borrow a rooster from her. We would incubate the eggs from the first ten days. The rest, I would give away to family members and neighbors until I was sure enough time had passed for me to eat them.
Not a great idea. You don't want to accidently give or get diseases from a seemingly healthy bird. Birds should be quarantined for at least a month to ensure they are not ill, and the introduction period takes time.

Thank you to those who actually answered my question and helped me figure out the best option for my new chicken family. That was what I had wanted help for.

At no point did I ever ask for opinions about me being a vegetarian and what I will and will not eat. I also did not give anyone else my opinion on their own diet and what you have chosen to eat or not eat. I also did not state where I get my eggs from now or where the babies will be going. I didn't write anything else about myself and my experience with animals both pet, farm, exotic or anything else. You don't know my background. Frankly, it's no one's business on here unless I decide to tell you.

This was my very first post and I am disappointed. I had planned to put my coop build up and get help or opinions from that but I am afraid to even try.
Lots of people on here are opinionated. You’ll have to take what you want and leave the rest, when it comes to input/feedback.

However, there are a lot of people on here who are super knowledgeable and helpful as well. I’d still make your post, because I’m sure you’ll get a lot of helpful feedback. If you get some opinions you don’t care for, don’t respond to those, and keep moving along with the helpful posters. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s definitely not a one size fits all group, but I put up with minor annoyances because the help I’ve gotten for my flock is 100% worth it.

I think your better off not having a rooster then. Each time you plan to eat one you have to figure out if its fertile or not which can be hard. Separating the roo alone with no ladies (even though he can see them) will quite literally drive him mad, not to mention she can stay fertile for months.

No rooster = No worries. If and when your daughter wants to hatch for 4H, buy fertile eggs for the incubator. Then you still have to figure out what to do with the males. They're hard to rehome and most takers are looking for dinner, not pets.

Still, your daughter's plan for 4H is a good one. It's an excellent program for youngsters - and you'll likely enjoy it, too. Has she considered rabbits? Similar set-ups, similar time commitment, and no need to keep a male for the occasional mating. Many 4Hers offer that service. If she picks an ornamental breed, like one of the dwarfs or something else not generally raised for meat, there's less likelihood of her kits being sent off to freezer camp by their new owners.

Oh - and another bonus ... store-bought eggs are MUCH cheaper than grow-your-own, even at the ridiculous prices we've been seeing, lately. By the time I figured in the cost of feed and bedding, some of my eggs cost over a dollar apiece, this winter!

While I don't think it's right for others to judge/comment on your chosen diet if that's not what you are asking about, I do think you need to be open minded if you are going to post on any public forum. Of course you don't have do what others say or put up with any harassment (there are BYC rules against that), but you shouldn't get angry at people for simply replying with what they think is helpful information.

Many of us have been around long enough to know that there are certain types of chicken owners who have a hard time dealing with the uglier side of husbandry. Your post/replies/verbiage suggested that you may fall into that category. My reply was not meant in a negative way, only to point out another potential pitfall in your stated plan. You would be surprised at how many people incubate eggs without any plan on what to do with the chicks, especially the males, when grown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom