What to do with a rooster when you don’t want fertile eggs all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for being helpful. I really appreciate it. What is your opinion on bringing a rooster over when we would like chicks? My friend has about 40 silkies and I can borrow a rooster from her. We would incubate the eggs from the first ten days. The rest, I would give away to family members and neighbors until I was sure enough time had passed for me to eat them.

Could you just buy some eggs from your friend, or swap her an equal amount when you want fertile ones?

Thank you for being helpful. I really appreciate it. What is your opinion on bringing a rooster over when we would like chicks? My friend has about 40 silkies and I can borrow a rooster from her. We would incubate the eggs from the first ten days. The rest, I would give away to family members and neighbors until I was sure enough time had passed for me to eat them.
Not a great idea. You don't want to accidently give or get diseases from a seemingly healthy bird. Birds should be quarantined for at least a month to ensure they are not ill, and the introduction period takes time.

No rooster = No worries. If and when your daughter wants to hatch for 4H, buy fertile eggs for the incubator. Then you still have to figure out what to do with the males. They're hard to rehome and most takers are looking for dinner, not pets.

Still, your daughter's plan for 4H is a good one. It's an excellent program for youngsters - and you'll likely enjoy it, too. Has she considered rabbits? Similar set-ups, similar time commitment, and no need to keep a male for the occasional mating. Many 4Hers offer that service. If she picks an ornamental breed, like one of the dwarfs or something else not generally raised for meat, there's less likelihood of her kits being sent off to freezer camp by their new owners.

Oh - and another bonus ... store-bought eggs are MUCH cheaper than grow-your-own, even at the ridiculous prices we've been seeing, lately. By the time I figured in the cost of feed and bedding, some of my eggs cost over a dollar apiece, this winter!

I don’t think i would do it. It might spread some disease like SilverBirds mentioned. To risky. Also, they could and probably would hurt each other since they aren’t used to each other.

Keep in mind randomly adding in a rooster could be a hazard for your daughter since you wouldn’t be familiar with his temperament around her and your hens.

No rooster = No worries. If and when your daughter wants to hatch for 4H, buy fertile eggs for the incubator. Then you still have to figure out what to do with the males. They're hard to rehome and most takers are looking for dinner, not pets.

Still, your daughter's plan for 4H is a good one. It's an excellent program for youngsters - and you'll likely enjoy it, too. Has she considered rabbits? Similar set-ups, similar time commitment, and no need to keep a male for the occasional mating. Many 4Hers offer that service. If she picks an ornamental breed, like one of the dwarfs or something else not generally raised for meat, there's less likelihood of her kits being sent off to freezer camp by their new owners.

Oh - and another bonus ... store-bought eggs are MUCH cheaper than grow-your-own, even at the ridiculous prices we've been seeing, lately. By the time I figured in the cost of feed and bedding, some of my eggs cost over a dollar apiece, this winter!
I wish she could do rabbits!!!!!! She’s allergic and that’s one of the animals I raised in FFA! Rabbits are my absolute favorite; English lops, hollands, and mini Rex.

We eat eggs but not a ton and with my daughter wanting to do silkies for 4H I figured it was a win win.

Thank you 😊

I wish she could do rabbits!!!!!! She’s allergic and that’s one of the animals I raised in FFA! Rabbits are my absolute favorite; English lops, hollands, and mini Rex.

We eat eggs but not a ton and with my daughter wanting to do silkies for 4H I figured it was a win win.

Thank you 😊
Maybe leasing an animal would work? We have alpaca leasing programs here for 4-Her’s and many other animals, if she is of age too and interested, she could even show one at Big-E. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom