What to do with a rooster when you don’t want fertile eggs all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your better off not having a rooster then. Each time you plan to eat one you have to figure out if its fertile or not which can be hard. Separating the roo alone with no ladies (even though he can see them) will quite literally drive him mad, not to mention she can stay fertile for months.

I don’t eat meat and a fertile egg potentially is meat.
Eeeee… fertile or not it’s ‘potentially meat’. If you going to keep animals you are responsible for their quality of life. I have no problem processing one of my own birds and eating it but while is under my protection it gets to live its best life. Living in the coop in diapers is not living an honest chicken life. Sometimes some things are just not meant to be. Maybe you should look into owning some other type of pets more suitable to your ideas. You can always purchase unfertilized eggs from store. Chickens are flock animals and you don’t get to put them in or remove them from the flock on your wimps, they have pecking order and your interference can be a life or death situation. It’s not fear to the animal. Forgive me but you need to think this through before you purchase animals.

Eeeee… fertile or not it’s ‘potentially meat’. If you going to keep animals you are tThe for their quality of life. I have no problem processing one of my own birds and eating it but while is under my protection it gets to live its best life. Living in the coop in diapers is not living an honest chicken life. Sometimes some things are just not meant to be. Maybe you should look into owning some other type of pets more suitable to your ideas. You can always purchase unfertilized eggs from store. Chickens are flock animals and you don’t get to put them in or remove them from the flock on your wimps, they have pecking order and your interference can be a life or death situation. It’s not fear to the animal.
The diaper was a joke, I’m glad you were quick to catch on

As a former vegan, I understand your concern but a fertile egg isn’t potential meat. If it isn’t warmed up, it won’t develop. If dirt has seeds in it but they haven’t sprouted, they are potential plants but they aren’t plants. If it isn’t given water or sunlight, it won’t develop.

If you really feel strongly about it, I would forego a rooster. Adding & removing will be too hard on the flock. You can always purchase fertile eggs (usually cheap on craigslist) if you want to hatch chicks.

As a former vegan, I understand your concern but a fertile egg isn’t potential meat. If it isn’t warmed up, it won’t develop. If dirt has seeds in it but they haven’t sprouted, they are potential plants but they aren’t plants. If it isn’t given water or sunlight, it won’t develop.

If you really feel strongly about it, I would forego a rooster. Adding & removing will be too hard on the flock. You can always purchase fertile eggs (usually cheap on craigslist) if you want to hatch chicks.
X2. Some people on BYC even sell eggs, i’m sure you could find some silkie eggs. (If that’s what you intend to hatch) it would be the same process if you have a broody hen, i think that would be more convenient for you.

I think your better off not having a rooster then. Each time you plan to eat one you have to figure out if its fertile or not which can be hard. Separating the roo alone with no ladies (even though he can see them) will quite literally drive him mad, not to mention she can stay fertile for months.
Thank you for being helpful. I really appreciate it. What is your opinion on bringing a rooster over when we would like chicks? My friend has about 40 silkies and I can borrow a rooster from her. We would incubate the eggs from the first ten days. The rest, I would give away to family members and neighbors until I was sure enough time had passed for me to eat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom