1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with all these chicken feathers?? (craft ideas??)

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by LaSombra, Jul 30, 2009.

1. LaSombra

LaSombra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    So... the last couple days, I've been out collecting chicken feathers. I just can't see letting a perfect feather get all cruddy and such like so many do. There are a lot of feathers lately in my coop. I don't know if it's the heat or if they're just molting or what... Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of you have crafts they do with feathers? I'm looking for new ideas [​IMG]

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I think I will be the same way .. can't imagine. I know I can "decorate" framed pics with them .. any kind of weaving .. make feather "flowers" .. etc.

I can't wait to have that problem!

3. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    I have a feather collecting fettich too. Last year we made my brother a "Native American costume" (headband and vest) with feathers glued on for Thanksgiving. He had fun glueing all of the feathers. I have a small vase of feathers too.

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Use them in flower arrangments or in vases alone as feathered arrangments. Use them to decorate things like frames, hats, walls, candles, clothing, hair ties, horse mane ties, feather dusters, feathered fans, jewelry...uhmmm the possibilities are endless [​IMG]

5. bjmstahl

bjmstahl Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    W. Harrison, IN
    If you have any long wing or tail feathers you could make quill pens. We have "Pioneer Day" at a local park and I have demonstrated making quill pens and black walnut ink. It really works! It also seems to improve penmanship. (Can't figure that one out.)[​IMG][​IMG]

6. chickenlover98

chickenlover98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Hogwarts
    make earrings with them!

7. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I collect them then wash and dry them - sort them by length and when my grandkids come over they LOVE making things with them. A little glitter glue- a few beads and they have made hats- masks- all sorts of things. They love to guess whose feather they are using too- makes another game out of it:)[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. lolabender

lolabender New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    Glad to see this post - I'm not alone in the world. I was picking up feathers yesterday too. Haven't decided what to do with them yet but when I do I'll share.

9. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Well im supposed do a social studies project about Gary Paulson.Im making a handmade bow and arrows.You need the tail feathers for the arrows.The only problem is finding an extremly straight branch for the arrows but if you look hard enough youll find a few.Iv already got 3 arrows completed.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  10. ebwy

ebwy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    UK
    I've used feathers in decorating boxes and making cards before... as they say, a little glitter glue works wonders

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by