What to do with all these Silkie roo's?

Not to be a horriable meanie but....

If you're still stuck with them, in asian cooking, they're "black boned chicken" and roos are desired for making a chicken soup (which is pretty much used as a cure-all the way it is in the rest of the US).

You can call your local SPCA and ask if they have a place for them. Here in Mass they have a farm in Methuen that takes in unwanted roosters.I ended up with 4 White Rock Roos,the hatchery shipped the wrong box to the feed store where I bought them. Anyhow, I would have had a chicken fry but was out-voted by the committee, had one die and brought 2 to the farm at a $10 donation for each. They quarentine them for 48 hours then release to the others to see how the blend. Its gives you an alternative to the pot or oven.

Quote:
I was wondering if they were worth anything as far as eating. I have 3 roos (out of 4 Silkies) and if I can't rehome them, they need to go. They are hatchery stock, so they all have straight combs. Shame, too. The biggest/oldest roo has very heavy leg and foot feathering and a nice shape. Oh well. My slow cooker needs some love, too.

I had two 'extra' silkie roos in with my ducks for awhile. They were great buddies and didn't seem to miss the girls. And everyone who visited us thought the silkies made my duck pen look like a petting zoo.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom