what to do with an eggbound quail? HELP!!!!**Update, she's gone...**

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I checked my quail just a little while ago for eggs. One of them had an egg stuck halfway out!! There was a lot of membrane sticking out with it as well. I broke the egg and got it out, pushed the membrane back in as best I could.
NOw I dont know what to do with her? Do I put her back with the others? Isolate her for a few days? I don't know what to do with her!!

Last edited:
I know quail like to be with other quail so I'm not really sure. I know with hens you bring them into a dark room for a few days to suppress egg production to give them a chance to heal. But knowing how my quail are it would stress her out way to much to be away from the others. I've never had an egg bound quail. Hopefully a more experienced quail person can help. I'd like to know also in case I ever need to know.

barnie.gif

Where is everyone today????
barnie.gif

Thanks Sam. I also pm'ed monarc, and she said it could be caused by too much calcium? I just about a week ago moved these guys outside, before that they were inside still. While they were inside, they had all been laying, one for about a month, the others had been laying like a week. The only thing I ever gave them inside was some cooked eggs with the shell. Now that they are outside, they have a small dish of oyster shell in their cage. So could it be that she is getting too much calcium? Should I just go back to giving them eggs once a week? Niki also said maybe the cuttle bone would be better, that's what I give to my buttons. Or is there another way to supplement them?

I went and checked on her earlier, and she looked to have some liquid and poo trying to come out of her vent. She was also bleeding again. I did have her back with the others, her vent hadn't been anything more than swollen yesterday, after her ordeal. When I went back to check on her a few hours later she was gone
sad.png
I could see an egg almost out of her, so I guess her thing she had yesterday just messed her up inside
hit.gif
Poor girl, I feel so bad. I should have just culled her yesterday, instead of letting her suffer like that
hit.gif

I'm sorry!
hugs.gif
I've had more than one egg-bound quail hen and haven't been able to save one, yet. I didn't post earlier because I was hoping your story would have a happier ending. I'm sorry you lost your girl.
sad.png

oh i'm so sorry you lost her! that must have been horrible walking out and finding her like that. i'm so sorry. i didn't post before because i didn't see it and i don't have quail. i wish i could've helped some.
hit.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

awh im sorry shelley! that sucks so bad! So she had another egg coming out again? I haveno idea what the issue is with her i'd say either the first egg damaged her insides, or she just had a genetic flaw. I dunno tho.

Back
Top Bottom