What to do with chicken livers, gizzards, etc.?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ChicksnPacas, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ChicksnPacas

ChicksnPacas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Byron, IL
    We have our first Cornish crosses at about five weeks old. While doing research on costs to raise and possible selling prices, one article mentioned selling chicken livers, gizzards, hearts and feet at $3.50/lb. I think I'll be fortunate to get $2.50 a pound for the whole chickens. Do processors usually save these parts, and do you think anyone would buy them? I saw some recipes, but it's not something I personally want to eat.

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Wish I lived near you... I'd buy them in a skinny minute!!

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    ummmm some of my favorite parts.

4. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    People in my area love fried gizzard and chicken livers in lots of recipes. I usually give them to my cats or throw them in with the carcass for stock.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    If people won't eat them, you can sell them raw for fish bait. Those are some of the main baits we use around here for catfish, especially the hearts/gizzards.

-Daniel

6. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I am not sure I would pay that price since I can just use my own but I am sure someone would, it is just trying to find them. My grandparents would put the hearts and gizzards in the chicken soup that they made and it was the best soup ever. I really miss that soup and it only tasted that good at their house, I just hope I can make something like it for my kids and grandkids, when they come along.
    The livers make great catfish bait though, and that is what I save mine for. I know that liver is very perishable so someone who likes liver may jump at the chance to get it very fresh, the only problem, as mentioned earlier, is finding a buyer.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Not eat them? Why not, they're good. However my mother told me that when she was young, her and her twin sister fought to grab the gizzard first to eat it (great depression era on kansas farm). When they grew up each said they hated the gizzard, but only took it to keep the other from having "the prize gizzard"

8. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

This just seems odd to me, but then again, i am the one who had a cousin start having a breakdown when she learned the turkey giblets were in the gravy [potatoes & gravy] at Thanksgiving

I guess buy some disposable bowls and package them for either food consumption, or like "DTchickens" said, as fish bait.

Hmmmm.. never thought of using them for fish bait

9. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

By The Way, how many chickens are we talking?

10. ChicksnPacas

ChicksnPacas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Byron, IL
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to see if the processor will same them for us.

Jeeper 1540: We just have 35 cornish crosses.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by