What to do with chicken livers, gizzards, etc.?

ChicksnPacas

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Byron, IL
We have our first Cornish crosses at about five weeks old. While doing research on costs to raise and possible selling prices, one article mentioned selling chicken livers, gizzards, hearts and feet at $3.50/lb. I think I'll be fortunate to get $2.50 a pound for the whole chickens. Do processors usually save these parts, and do you think anyone would buy them? I saw some recipes, but it's not something I personally want to eat.

I am not sure I would pay that price since I can just use my own but I am sure someone would, it is just trying to find them. My grandparents would put the hearts and gizzards in the chicken soup that they made and it was the best soup ever. I really miss that soup and it only tasted that good at their house, I just hope I can make something like it for my kids and grandkids, when they come along.
The livers make great catfish bait though, and that is what I save mine for. I know that liver is very perishable so someone who likes liver may jump at the chance to get it very fresh, the only problem, as mentioned earlier, is finding a buyer.

Not eat them? Why not, they're good. However my mother told me that when she was young, her and her twin sister fought to grab the gizzard first to eat it (great depression era on kansas farm). When they grew up each said they hated the gizzard, but only took it to keep the other from having "the prize gizzard"

This just seems odd to me, but then again, i am the one who had a cousin start having a breakdown when she learned the turkey giblets were in the gravy [potatoes & gravy] at Thanksgiving

I guess buy some disposable bowls and package them for either food consumption, or like "DTchickens" said, as fish bait.

Hmmmm.. never thought of using them for fish bait

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to see if the processor will same them for us.

Jeeper 1540: We just have 35 cornish crosses.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom