What to do with DEAD Instant Dry Yeast?

hysop

RIP Ryder (2022) & Hammy (2019)
Sep 16, 2019
SW Georgia
I’m almost positive it’s dead. It has a small reaction, but not super foamy like it used to months ago. I didn’t store it right is my guess. Expiration date isn’t til February 2021.

I have a Sam’s Club quantity of it.

Can I add it all to my compost? Can I give it to my chickens? Or other livestock? I just feel bad all that going to waste.

I’ll test it out again to double check if it truly is dead.

My dough didn’t rise even after putting it in a warm oven (oven was off but warm).

Any advice or comments is welcome 😊

Gotta septic tank? If so, flush it... some recommend flushing yeast once a month for septic systems.... some say it doesn’t help anything though... won’t hurt though.

or just add it to compost... might help it, can’t hurt it

Gotta septic tank? If so, flush it... some recommend flushing yeast once a month for septic systems.... some say it doesn’t help anything though... won’t hurt though.

or just add it to compost... might help it, can’t hurt it

I do have one but this is like a pound of yeast 😂
I’m guessing I should only flush a little bit?

will definitely add it to my compost. It’s just a last resort since I want to try to make it a bit more useful.

Thank you!!

Test it again. Make sure the water isn't too hot and you have some sugar mixed in. How you stored it shouldn't matter unless your house is blazing hot.
If it's marginal, sprinkle it on the compost pile and go buy a new one. It's the cost of a good loaf of bread. Not worth wasting your bread making effort.

Back
Top Bottom