What to do with feathers.

Chris-n-Kate

Songster
Mar 13, 2019
I read chicken feathers are too thick and sharp to make decent pillows, duck and goose feathers are soft but need special fabric or they will just come out through the fabric.

Faraday40

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Illinois
I read chicken feathers are too thick and sharp to make decent pillows, duck and goose feathers are soft but need special fabric or they will just come out through the fabric.
Most chicken feathers are too stiff & you're probably right. There are a few soft feathered breeds that may work - like Dominiques. (I was told they were a fav for their feathers back in the 1820s) My grandparents had feather pillows when I was a kid. They were not comfortable so it doesn't surprise me that better alternatives were found.

Last edited:

Floof

Songster
Sep 28, 2015
Most chicken feathers are too stiff & you're probably right. There are a few soft feathered breeds that may work - like Dominiques. (I was told they were a fav for their feathers back in the 1820s) My grandparents had feather pillows when I was a kid. They were not comfortable so it doesn't surprise me that better alternatives were found.
Normally only the down is used or if you're really dedicated to using them all you can cut the quil out of each feather. The down would be gathered from the tummy and neck areas and have much thinner and softer quills. I agree with some of the other posters that they don't provide much support when in a pillow but they have excellent insulating qualities so would be great in quilts and coats.

Top Bottom