What to do with feathers.

I read chicken feathers are too thick and sharp to make decent pillows, duck and goose feathers are soft but need special fabric or they will just come out through the fabric.

I read chicken feathers are too thick and sharp to make decent pillows, duck and goose feathers are soft but need special fabric or they will just come out through the fabric.
Most chicken feathers are too stiff & you're probably right. There are a few soft feathered breeds that may work - like Dominiques. (I was told they were a fav for their feathers back in the 1820s) My grandparents had feather pillows when I was a kid. They were not comfortable so it doesn't surprise me that better alternatives were found.

Last edited:
Most chicken feathers are too stiff & you're probably right. There are a few soft feathered breeds that may work - like Dominiques. (I was told they were a fav for their feathers back in the 1820s) My grandparents had feather pillows when I was a kid. They were not comfortable so it doesn't surprise me that better alternatives were found.
Normally only the down is used or if you're really dedicated to using them all you can cut the quil out of each feather. The down would be gathered from the tummy and neck areas and have much thinner and softer quills. I agree with some of the other posters that they don't provide much support when in a pillow but they have excellent insulating qualities so would be great in quilts and coats.

Back
Top Bottom