what to do with frozen water

hi everyone today we had are first snow and the birds water has frozen. we let are birds free range and I went to check on them and their feet were pinker than usual we do not have a heater in the coop because of fire hazards and are coop is to far away to run a extension cord I gave them some warm oatmeal but they seem dehydrated because their water is frozen what should I do? please reply ASAP
They must have liquid water at all times that they are awake. @Mrs. K's solution is best if you don't have electricity to the coop.

I would just close the coop up tight. A good coop will not have a draft and your girls can usually stay pretty warm huddled up on the perches.
Nonono! They need good ventilation all year round. Good ventilation has some air movement, but no drafts strong enough to ruffle feathers(literally)near roost area.

They must have liquid water at all times that they are awake. @Mrs. K's solution is best if you don't have electricity to the coop.

Nonono! They need good ventilation all year round. Good ventilation has some air movement, but no drafts strong enough to ruffle feathers(literally)near roost area.
I forgot to say only at night!

Think of being in a car with a bunch of people in the winter. Without heat, almost immediately the car will fog up. That is what will happen if you close up the coop tight at night. Wet chickens, damp chickens are cold chickens. Chickens make and trap their own heat. They need to be dry and out of the wind, and they will be warm enough. Worry about keeping birds dry, with deep bedding and good ventilation.

It took me awhile to get my head around this, but now I have large vents opened on the south side of my coop, open 24/7/365 days of the year.

Think of being in a car with a bunch of people in the winter. Without heat, almost immediately the car will fog up. That is what will happen if you close up the coop tight at night.
I love this analogy! Most folks have experienced this, so should understand it.
.....and just think that's without anyone pooping!

I was joking, when we were out late at night, we were not drinking water, but rather an alcoholic beverage.

Mine does not have water in the coop, I have at times tried it, and wound up with a mess. I do have a shelter in the run, and during inclement weather, I will put it there.

If you can provide open water everyday, it is probably an advantage. I cannot, and really see no loss. They do get liquid water each morning, and many will be taking a pretty good drink at that time. However, in really cold weather, that freezes up quick. Lucky for me, while we will get a could of very cold weather, it generally only last a few days and then gets nicer.

Back
Top Bottom