What to Do With Giant Eggs

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Washington State
We have three Golden Comets who have been laying for almost a month now, and their eggs have gone from modest pullet eggs to GINORMOUS eggs that are HUGE
ep.gif
and off the egg scale!! My problem is we are getting a lot of eggs now that don't fit in egg cartons. We like to share our eggs with others, and I don't know what to do with these that are in a bowl in the fridge. Do they make extra, extra, extra large egg cartons?

I have the same problem, I just keep them in a bowl in the fridge and try to use them first
big_smile.png

the culprit is a Black Australorp who lays that size 4-5 days a week.
10773_100_3699.jpg

Eat 'em!
big_smile.png

Seriously, though - I give "average" eggs to others and keep the oddball ones for us. Although, maybe really huge eggs are normal for your girls? I don't know that breed.

I have duck eggs which are larger than chicken eggs -especially Pekin eggs- I sold them by the dozen and put them in those disposable plastic containers. They don't have to go in a carton, really.

I was just wondering about cartons because we have a small side by side fridge that holds practically nothing! (We are in a rental.) I have to plan ahead if I want to make a big pasta salad so it will fit! So it is an issue with space.
rant.gif

We bought our chicks in February without giving much thought to how many eggs 8 hens can produce, especially production hens like our 3 Comets. 1 has only missed three days, and the other 2 haven't missed a day yet.

We go through spurts of egg consumption, and I do a lot of baking when it isn't 95* in the house. They are just piling up right now cuz it's too hot to use the stove/oven.

And for Mike555444:

I did take pics of the first one because I wanted to gloat to my MIL, who also raises chickens, AND I thought it was a fluke. So, here you go!
smile.png

IMG_1434.jpg

They aren't much longer than large, store bought eggs, but A LOT rounder. We went to check the hen when we collected it, to make sure she handled it ok. She was fine!

IMG_1431.jpg

Large store bought egg to make sure the scale is right.

IMG_1433.jpg

The egg size we are getting now. 1-3 a day. My boys and I kept weighing it over and over to see if it was right. The scale bottomed out, so we don't know how much it really weighed. We did eat this one, and it had two huge yolks. Very tasty!

IMG_1436.jpg

Don't think it's going to close! (Look at all the cute pullet eggs. Our barred rocks and RIR just started laying a week ago!) The big one in the front was the precursor to the monster in the back! Same hen. No wonder they burn out!!

Since I am relatively new to this chicken/egg business, could someone tell me where you buy cartons from? Place with the best prices? Thanks.

Wow those are big eggs!

Another option if you don't have much fridge space is to leave your eggs out on the counter. If you're consuming them fairly quickly (within a week or so), you shouldn't have any problems. I lived in England for awhile and was surprised the first time I went to the grocery store and found the eggs on the shelves next to the bread, and not in the cooler next to the milk!

Back
Top Bottom