What to do with hen and chicks??

LexsPeeps

Songster
Apr 2, 2017
Kentucky
Hello all, we have been watching one of our hens sit on eggs for what seemed like forever lol today she hatched 11!! Now I have no idea whether to leave her to do the work or if I should put mom and babies or just babies in a brooder. This is our first broody hen hatching eggs and we have 54 other chickens, I'm worried they may hurt them, is that true? I know people do both ways but I want to do what's right for the survival of the babies, any information will be greatly appreciated! If yell can't tell I'm super ecstatic and proud of our girl! :celebrate:celebrate

Leave them alone. I had the same doubts. If they are elevated, get them on the floor. Provide close-by (like a few inches) food and water. Mama will take care of everything. All of my chickens give the mama and her chicks wide berth. My broody mama had her chicks outside free ranging on the second day (low 80F days).

Thats kinda what I was thinking but with so many other chickens around I was worried they would peck at them but they seem not to mind or worry much about the new additions. It is raining, momma is soaked but babies look dry I set some food out by them and they are eating away. Will the rain hurt them?

I agree let momma do her things. I have 2 mommas outside right now with their babies free ranging and they always take great care of them. All of my mommas and babies I let free range with the other chickens. But with that said there is a pecking order so the other chickens will try put the babies in there place, momma will defend them but they will all be ok after awhile. I do house my momma and babies in a "nursery run" at night with her babies though just for a little while, until they are ready to roost and I have a roost in it too, momma will show them how and when. They are great mommas! Exciting when you get more babies!

I do free range my flock, and I also feed fermented food in the evenings when everybody comes back in. Is fermented food ok for them? I gave them medicated crumbles and a little dry scratch grain when I found them. It wouldn't be a bad idea to build some kind of "nursery run" for night time. She is one of our smartest hens when it comes to taking care of herself and instincts, she's pretty clever. I feel that letting her do the job would be best, we've never hatched eggs under a chicken before, she hid her nest and starting sitting on about 15 eggs before we knew she was even broody. She didn't "come home" one day and I went searching for her all over, only to find her under the stand where the nesting boxes are. Thank you all for your help!

I do free range my flock, and I also feed fermented food in the evenings when everybody comes back in. Is fermented food ok for them? I gave them medicated crumbles and a little dry scratch grain when I found them. It wouldn't be a bad idea to build some kind of "nursery run" for night time. She is one of our smartest hens when it comes to taking care of herself and instincts, she's pretty clever. I feel that letting her do the job would be best, we've never hatched eggs under a chicken before, she hid her nest and starting sitting on about 15 eggs before we knew she was even broody. She didn't "come home" one day and I went searching for her all over, only to find her under the stand where the nesting boxes are. Thank you all for your help!

Fermented food is fine for chicks.

They are good at hiding, One was under the boards of our hunt boat and the other in the bed of a truck. I have even had one I'm a fork or a big tree. They are strange sometimes. I just move them into the nursery when I find them .

In the begging I would wait until night to move them. Most of my hens that hatch are used to it now though so I can just move them whenever. I made it easier on myself over the years I got a big enclosed dog box and put them in there on a table on the porch so I could keep an eye on them and candle the eggs easier. The hens would let me know when they wanted to go out and forage but usually they just stayed in. I also give them chick feed when they are sitting on eggs.

Back
Top Bottom