what to do with left over starter?

hypnofrogstevie

chick magnet
16 Years
Jul 12, 2007
Newport, MI
well as some of you know I will be loosing 4 more birds this weel. I will only have 2 girls and 1 boy to myself. they are 6 weeks old and my mom bought another bag of start and grow. I still have half a bag left. If I dont run out or if my girls ar actually boys what do I do with the left overs other then sell it? I dont know where to store it cause of the rat problems this town has.

Quote:
If it's medicated just throw it away. If it'n not medicated then mix it with
your grower or whatever feed you are using.

I store feed in the clear plastic containers outside. Animals can't get in.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh then just store it in a plastic sealed bin. Just don't keep it for more than
3 months.

I'd really just blend it with whatever food you are feeding them now. The high
protein won't hurt them in the short run plus it will be a blend.

Just to chime in here, we have had terrible luck with plastic bins to store food in. We had bird seed in an air tight hard plastic dog food container with a screw on lid I thought no squirrel or other rodent could get into. It was not transparent; I don't know how they could smell or otherwise sense anything was in there. The squirrels or rats chewed that hard plastic right through! If they can see the food, surely they will get in even quicker. Raccoons can just flip the top off, and will if they see or smell the food in there.

We store all bird seed and chicken feed in metal trash cans set up on 2x4s (they can get wet in the bottom if they sit in water after a rain). They come in all sizes and are also handy for extra wood shavings.

As for the chick feed, if it is a new bag can you take it back and exchange it for the right stuff? If it is not opened yet, I bet you can. With so few birds, it will take a long time to use it up.

Vicki

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, and I had a friend have a gopher actually chew threw her metal can! Imagine that. And once when my mama cat brought her some what older kitten a gopher to eat, the gopher attacked the cat, then my two year old wanted to get the gopher and I wanted to get my two year old and the gopher reared up on its hinds legs at me and it was a little scarey for a split second, attacking gophers, yikes!

I am just going to use it up. If the feed store has chicks I am going to buy some. I have to get the duck feed ready anyway
big_smile.png

Quote:
I haven't had any problems with animal getting into my plastic bins and I keep
them outside. I'm surprised I haven't had problems and totally agree plastic isn't
the best for storage. Plastic is just cheap and most people have some type of plastic
containers around the house.

Your metal cans on 2x4's is a great way to do it and someday I'll probably do the same.

Those big toothed little buggers can chew though anything and a raccoon once
beat me in a game of chess.
smile.png

Don

Back
Top Bottom