What to do with leftover starter mash?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AliciaDuckLady, Nov 11, 2013.

1. AliciaDuckLady

AliciaDuckLady Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi! Just wondering if there is anything I can do with this huge bag of starter mash I won't be needing soon? It seems a waste to bin it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don’t do ducks, just chickens and an occasional turkey, but why can’t you feed it to your ducks? I assume ducks from which forum you are in and your signature. I always finish feeding a bag before I switch feeds.

I know you are getting into summer, but if I had some left over it would either go to feed the wild birds or more likely I’d dump it on my compost pile.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You could add it as maybe 10 to 20% of their feed until it is used up, or donate it to a waterfowl rescue group. Sometimes veterinarians take in rescues, or they may know someone who could use the feed.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Feed it, if your changing foods, mix it. Given the costs of feeds, no way would i waste it.

5. AliciaDuckLady

AliciaDuckLady Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for the advice, I have donated the chick mash to our avian vets to pass on where it is needed, I woud never have thought of that. Good idea! The rest I will feed and if it get ridiculous, to the compost with the rest. Would be cool if I could bake a mash bird house (ginger bread house) but am pretty sure it would attract more creepy crawlies than birds Eeeep! Too close to the house :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by