What to do with leftovers...post your favorite leftover recipe.

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
Leftover Roast Beef Stew

Leftover roast – chopped into bite size pieces - About 1 cup is all you really need
Leftover gravy - I always make extra gravy just so I will have plenty for this stew
1 large onion – chopped
1 bell pepper – chopped
3 stalks celery – chopped
3 large carrots – chopped
4 cloves garlic – minced
1 – 32 ounce box beef broth OR 4 cups of water and 4 beef bullion cubes
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen sweet peas
1 cup frozen green beans
4 large potatoes – chopped

Chop onions, bell pepper, celery and carrots. Saute in a little oil until vegetables are tender, add garlic and cook just until you can smell the garlic. Add frozen vegetables, leftover gravy and beef broth or water and bullion. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes to meld flavors.

Add chopped potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender. Add chopped roast and bring back to a boil thicken with a little cornstarch or flour slurry...taste to adjust seasonings and serve with warm home made bread.

RoastBeefStew003.jpg

Leftover Pork Roast:

Chinese Pork and Rice

2 TB butter
2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 t. salt
1 large onion
2 ribs celery
1 green bell pepper
1 cup (or more) chopped leftover pork roast
1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 t. chicken base paste (like Minor's or Better Than Bouillon)
2 t. soy sauce or more if you like a stronger soy flavor

Melt butter in a heavy skillet or saucepan. Add uncooked rice, season with salt. Stirring often, cook rice until it turns golden. Cut onion and celery into thin slices, cut bell pepper into strips and chop pork into small pieces. Add onions to rice and cook several minutes, then pour in boiling water in which the cube or chicken paste has been dissolved. Cover pot tightly and cook about 20 minutes until rice is done. Add bell pepper, celery, and pork; cover tightly and leave to stand on stove top about 10 minutes. Stir in soy sauce just before serving.

Serves 4. (Also good for breakfast!)

Last edited:
Fried Rice
Chop left over meat (pork, chicken, beef, shrimp) into small pieces
Chop onion, celery, carrots, squash, or whatever you have on hand into small pieces.
corn or eng peas.
Left over cooked rice, white or brown
soy sauce
eggs
chopped tomato
I just put whatever I have a little bit of that I think would taste good.

Saute raw veggies in a little bit of oil over med high heat; while they are tender crisp add meat and left over veggies then rice. Mix well and cook over med to med high heat stirring often. Season to taste with soy sauce. When it is mixed well and warm, add eggs. (2-3 for 4 servings) and cook and stir until eggs are done. Add chopped fresh tomato and mix in right before serving.

This is great for using a little of this and that out of the garden also. It doesn't take very much of any ingredient except the rice.

This is also a very quick dish.

Last edited:
Leftover spaghetti sauce becomes tomato soup

I always make extra spaghetti sauce so that the next day I can make my family's favorite soup

4 cups meat sauce (made with onions, garlic and celery)
4 cups beef stock
½ cup garlic bread crumbs (for thickening)

Just combine and cook over low heat for an hour, it would also work in a crock pot. Sometimes I add some sliced Italian sausage. It's quick and delicious.

Quote:
That's a great idea....but I usually make a lasagna. Walmart has an (oven ready) lasagna noodle. I take my meat sauce put a very thin layer on the bottom of the pan and lay the noodles right out of the box in the pan. Cover with 2 cups of meat sauce, ricotta cheese/mixed with a couple of beaten eggs for extra richness, Parmesan cheese and Mozzarella cheese....repeat with another layer topping off with Mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and put in a 350 degree preheated oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes to lightly brown the cheese. Best lasagna ever and it's no work at all.

If I have leftover chicken soup (I never add noodles directly to soup when cooking) I turn it into pot pie or beef stew becomes shepherds pie

To a cup or so of leftover mashed potatoes, add an egg, a couple tablespoons of finely minced onion and enough cracker crumbs to bind it. Fry by the heaping tablespoon in a little oil or butter.

Quote:
Ken....
You can take that same mixture and add a can of Salmon and make some really fine salmon patties.

Salmon Patties

1 can Red Salmon
1 egg
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 stack of crackers crushed into crumbs
Cornmeal

Make the mashed potatoes and crush the crackers into crumbs.

Drain the juice from the salmon and place the salmon in a bowl.
Mash the salmon with a fork until it is all lose and separated.

Mix in the egg and the mashed potatoes.
Thicken with enough cracker crumbs so that it will hold together when you shape them into patties.

Form the patties and coat them with cornmeal, place in refrigerator until ready to cook. Fry on med. heat in a little oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

You can make these the night before and fry them when you get home from work the following evening.

I make these with leftover mashed potatoes from the evening meal and they are ready to cook for supper the next day.

SalmonPatties002.jpg

SalmonPatties003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom