What to do with mixed breed pullets and layer ration? When do I start?

PDXModChick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
I have four breeds of birds and was reading last night that my black sex links should start laying at about 16-18 weeks. This is two weeks earlier than my other birds.

When do I start the layer ration? When do I lay out calcium? Will it make my other birds sick to feed them earlier than they are due to start laying?

Thank you!

Quote:
I'd start transitioning them to the layer right at 18 weeks if you can. Even if your BSLs start laying before then, I think the risk of getting some soft eggshells outweigh the problems of the others' bodies maladjusting to the calcium spike at such a young age. Once the first one starts laying, it's safe to add a calcium supplement.

I would feed it now. Am feeding it now in fact, I have several same age, mixed breeds of pullets with some who've started to lay and some that aren't ready yet. They're all on layer rations... I have grit and oyster shell free access. I've never had trouble this way.

//edit to say, yes start to feed when the earliest are ready to lay. My earliest are Golden Comets (RSLs) and I started mixing in layer ration at about 18 weeks for them all, sorry I misread your first post.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom