What to do with mixed breed pullets and layer ration? When do I start?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PDXModChick, Sep 14, 2009.

1. PDXModChick

PDXModChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    I have four breeds of birds and was reading last night that my black sex links should start laying at about 16-18 weeks. This is two weeks earlier than my other birds.

When do I start the layer ration? When do I lay out calcium? Will it make my other birds sick to feed them earlier than they are due to start laying?

Thank you!

2. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Quote:I'd start transitioning them to the layer right at 18 weeks if you can. Even if your BSLs start laying before then, I think the risk of getting some soft eggshells outweigh the problems of the others' bodies maladjusting to the calcium spike at such a young age. Once the first one starts laying, it's safe to add a calcium supplement.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I would feed it now. Am feeding it now in fact, I have several same age, mixed breeds of pullets with some who've started to lay and some that aren't ready yet. They're all on layer rations... I have grit and oyster shell free access. I've never had trouble this way.

//edit to say, yes start to feed when the earliest are ready to lay. My earliest are Golden Comets (RSLs) and I started mixing in layer ration at about 18 weeks for them all, sorry I misread your first post.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by