What to do with mother duck now her ducklings have died

lazydaisyducks

Hatching
Jul 11, 2016
I'm new to this so sorry if this thread is in wrong section but our call duck has been sitting on a good size nest for weeks and in the night her first 2 ducklings hatched but we woke to find them dead at the side of the pond and she was really upset and giving out. She must of brought them straight out when they hatched and the cold killed them. They were frozen, poor little things. She abandoned her nest and the other eggs were all cold. It was a really unusually cold night unfortunately. Have put other eggs in an incubator but it might b too late or they may never have been going to hatch anyway time will tell. What I want to know is , as my duck is sad and looking for her babies is it possible to get baby ducklings and sort of replace the ones that didn't make it or will she not look after those. Sorry if that's a really stupid question just feel so bad for her after all her dedication.
Thanks

Awww im so sorry, ps
welcome-byc.gif

I think if you bought some ducklings immediately (if you can) she hopefully will adopt them, if she hasn't stopped feeling broody!

The eggs are in a friends incubator so not sure about any movement though they didn't feel like it when I collected them earlier. The mother duck is just outside now with the others so I don't know really if she is wanting to mother any or not, so sad it didn't work out after all her hard work.
1f629.png

Oh dear, I'm so sorry, don't give up, if she is still broody you could see if she will sit on some more eggs, and its a good idea if she is put in a warmish place with the eggs, if she will sit on them (i would put my broody duck in my house in a spare room, knowing me lol

Back
Top Bottom