1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with my 1st egg??? HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DebB11, Jul 27, 2011.

1. DebB11

DebB11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    wash it, wipe it, put a date on it??? what?

how long do they keep in fridge? how soon do I need to refrigerate them after they are laid?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Eat it. I have it on good inside information that eggs are very tastey! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Eat it. The fresher they are, the better they taste.

The ultimate breakfast -- go out into your garden early in the morning, pick whatever veggies and herbs are in season, get some eggs still warm from the hens, and make yourself a REALLY fresh omelet.

Eggs will keep 4 to 6 weeks, at least, in the fridge. The ones from the grocery store are usually 3-4 weeks old already when they put them out for sale.

You only need to wash them if they're dirty. If you do wash, use hot tap water, and a weak bleach rinse is OK.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    You dont need to wash it unless it is really nasty or something. Alot of people dont wash them at all and leave them out on the counter in a basket. The chickens lay the eggs with a protective covering on it called BLOOM. This keeps bacteria from getting inside the egg. If you wash it, the bloom comes off and you MUST refridgerate. I have heard that eggs on the counter will last a month or more, 3 months or more in the fridge.

5. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Take a picture of it! That's probably one expensive egg!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by