what to do with my 7 week old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mojees, Mar 26, 2015.

1. mojees

mojees New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    maryland
    So, my two baby chicks Ariel and Tiana (my three year old named them) finally went outside at 7 weeks old about a week ago out into the chicken tractor. Well, today we found tiana outside the tractor...we are assuming racoon :(

Anyway, about a week ago we got three more baby chicks. Ariel and Tiana were together since hatching. Now I'm so worried about Ariel. I brought her back inside with the three little chicks (about 1.5 weeks now) and them seem to be doing great. Problem is I'm worried about how long Ariel can stay with them. What should I do? Will Ariel be okay by herself outside?

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Have you fixed the tractor so that the raccoon doesn't eat the next batch of chicks?

3. mojees

mojees New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    maryland
    Not yet, just happened today and brought her inside. I'm thinking we are going to get a trap and yes, got to figure out what to do with the tractor.

4. Odelia

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Post a photo of the tractor. I am sure someone on here has a good idea.

5. Odelia

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    If your 7 week old isn't bulling the 1.5 week old chicks try to keep them together. If you stagger when they go out they will forget that they part of the same flock. You will have her be the one that is never quite an equal in the flock.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. mojees

mojees New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    maryland
    I'll post a picture tomorrow of that, that's a good idea.

They are already getting along great, she is letting them climb all over her and cuddle up to her. This isn't a great photo, but fuzz and Sammy are laying on her[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by