What to do with my poo

I put an ad on craigslist and had some responses. Although, I will add some to my own garden this fall as well

sn0wwhite, I will try and take a picture in the next day or two.

rehric00, Did you put an add on Craigslist to sell chicken manure? I'd like details like is it aged, composted, dryed, how are you packaging it? How many chickens do you have?

I have 30 hens. I just put an ad up that says make an offer, or $5 a bucket full. I had two people respond. One asked if its pure or if there's straw mixed in. Obviously there's some shavings but not a lot. And I told them that its not aged, etc that its as I clean the coop out. They can age it as they please. No one has actually come yet, but basically it's being your own bucket, make an offer and I'll fill it up! I just thought I'd give it a try and some were actually interested!

I have deep litter with shavings on the floor and I have Sweet PDZ on poop boards under the roost. The straight droppings coated with PDZ go into a 5 gallon bucket with a Purina feed bag liner. When it is filled, I tie it up and set it somewhere to break down. Then with the floor litter that has pine shavings, I clean it out once or twice a year, and put it in a big pile out in the chicken yard where they have so much fun digging through it looking for worms and whatnot. It is flattened out pretty quick and starts composting.

It's definitely worth a try to sell it. I have a sand floor so the manure is coated with sand, but that's not a bad thing in a garden. I don't mind using it my self and would like to, but I just don't want it to stink because my neighbor's house is too close to my garden.

I have a few ideas I'm going to try to catch it more "pure" and see what happens. I went to the grocery store and they had tons of the shallow cardboard boxes, only about an inch and half deep, that they sell toilet paper on... I'm gonna line the area under the brooder with them, make cleanup quick and easy as well as shaving free to hopefully attract more people to buy it. The way I see it, is if someone is willing to pay, I'll let them. Help pay for some of the feed :)

Thank you. I'm looking forward to a picture. By the way, is sand ok in a garden if some ends up there from compost?

Back
Top Bottom