What to do with my poo

"We put ours in a compost bin to be used in the vegetable garden later."

Doesn't it stink when it gets wet in the compost bin? Compost doesn't break down well if it's dry.

We've had a wet spring and it's been difficult to keep the compost from getting soaked. I have a pallet compost bin that is easy to cover with a tarp to keep excess rain out. When I need to get the compost "cooking", I add some green to the chicken litter - usually grass or weeds - give it a toss, make sure it has enough moisture to decompose but isn't soaking wet, and then tarp it. The tarp will also warm it up, accelerating the cooking process. Haven't had any problem with odor doing it this way.

I just dump mine on the fence line between the neighbour who complained about our rooster to authorities (he never woke us and our house is closer to coop than theirs)

Honestly though it wouldn't worry me if it did I just don't find it smells much. I do deep litter with pine shavings. Even when the coop flooded what i dumped didn't smell enough to make our wingers complain.

Here is what i do with my horse manure and wood chips and of course all of my food waste.

This serisously works, hopefully you have time to try it out.

One tip with the pitchfork scooper that you can't see in the pictures is that I put the hardware cloth through the tines on the far end (bottom). The first time I didn't and the hardware cloth kept sliding up toward the handle.

Back
Top Bottom