what to do with new hatchlings

Thank you drumstick diva. Just watched the 4th coming out. Definitely the highlight of my day!
clap.gif

Thank you for your response. I believe it's day 23 but one just hatched a couple hours ago. I was expecting them days ago since it's been very hot here. I think I would feel better to separate them from the rest of the flock, but a couple of my friends say to just leave it up to mom to defend them. It will definitely be more work to separate them. So in their area do you think giving them a warm spot like a nesting box on the ground that is caged in is required?

Yes something along those lines with protection from snakes and other animals but also protection from the weather. You could leave them with the others but risk loosing some or all of them

Thank you for your response. I believe it's day 23 but one just hatched a couple hours ago. I was expecting them days ago since it's been very hot here. I think I would feel better to separate them from the rest of the flock, but a couple of my friends say to just leave it up to mom to defend them. It will definitely be more work to separate them. So in their area do you think giving them a warm spot like a nesting box on the ground that is caged in is required?

Also I recently had 12 eggs under a broody hen and she hatched 2 chicks, one on day 23 that is healthy and active and another on day 25 that has an unabsorbed yolk but is still alive after 24 hours so dont through any eggs out unless your absolutely certain

Also I recently had 12 eggs under a broody hen and she hatched 2 chicks, one on day 23 that is healthy and active and another on day 25 that has an unabsorbed yolk but is still alive after 24 hours so dont through any eggs out unless your absolutely certain
She left her nesting box today and didn't want to return. We pipped the eggs and the rest weren't fertile except for 1 that was completely developed and ready to hatch it looked like to me but it was dead. I think she must not have been sitting on that one for a while. bummer...Oh well, I have 4 little cuties.

I made a small mini-coop to put mum and her chicks in, within the main coop and i do this on the day that all viable eggs have hatched. the mini-coop is at floor level, so mum and the chicks can come and go as they please (I free range them) and i have not had an issue with other hens pecking the chicks - even when they were 2 days old. I only let my alpha hen sit, so maybe that helps a little in terms of protection for the chicks.

CT

My husband just built an area inside the run for momma and her chicks. The other chickens can see them but they are safe. Since I only had 4 hatch I didn't want to lose any.

My husband just built an area inside the run for momma and her chicks. The other chickens can see them but they are safe. Since I only had 4 hatch I didn't want to lose any.

Thats fine then. When i first hatched chicks i was similarly protective of them in terms of other flock members so i understand your concerns. After reading other posts over the past six months i decided to bite the bullet and let mum out with the chicks and its been fine (although i am sure i may lose one or two of the chicks to hawks, but thats the way it goes).

Back
Top Bottom