1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with packing peanuts?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by susanah, May 24, 2011.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    I want to order a few bantams and know I will get a bunch of extra chicks that I don't
    have the space to care for. What's the best way to get rid of these? I could probably only keep
    them a day or so. I'd like to find a place for them BEFORE they arrive. Is there a place on here
    to post? I don't want money for them...just a home. I live in the Pensacola, FL area. Thanks

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. bluesmom

bluesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    McDonald
    click on index, then go to buy, sell, auction.....u might even find someone close to u to get ur bantams from!!!!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Where are you planning on ordering from?

This time of year you may be able to order without packing peanuts and still expect your pullets to arrive safe and sound.

4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:Some hatcheries do not ship packing peanuts and some (like Ideal, I believe) let you pay a fee to not get any packing peanuts. I find packing peanuts irresponsible if the company doesn't inform the buyer in advance about them.

5. Dornes

Dornes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    I would be interested in the extras if you would ship them. I am in Wisconsin.

6. susanah

Mar 23, 2009
    I want to order from Ideal and they will ship without extras if I pay insurance, but I only want
    about 7 or 8 bantams and they said that they wouldn't survive without the others. I would
    prefer not to ship since I have no idea what I'm doing in that area. Plus it doesn't seem fair
    to ship the poor little guys twice in a row.

7. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Order from My Pet Chicken - they will never throw in any extras you don't order/don't want. I order from them all the time.

deb g

8. Dornes

Dornes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    Understood. I just ordered 6 chicks from MeyerHatchery. Try them, I don't believe I am getting packing peanuts with my order. Nothing was stated at all in the ordering process and the minimum order for any mix of chicks was 3.

9. bluesmom

bluesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    McDonald
    hey JJ is in FL and he has lots of goodies!!!! maybe u could go pick up some babies???? or at least it would be closer ship and im sure he doesnt hv packing peanuts [​IMG]

his link is listed here to his website:
    http://jmgamefarm.webs.com

10. susanah

Mar 23, 2009
    We were specifically looking for d'Uccles other than the Mille Fleur and that is
    the only ones Meyer and My Pet Chicken carry. But I might try them if we can't find what
    we want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by