What to do with packing peanuts???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenLVR, Jan 30, 2012.

1. ChickenLVR

ChickenLVR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Hi everyone!
    I need some advice! I have 8 silkie chicks coming from ideal next week to start our very first little backyard flock! The problem is, along with those 8 silkies will be 15-16 packing peanuts...and I am not sure what to do with them. That seems like an aweful lot. I definitely cannot keep them all (or really, any of them, especially once they begin to crow) I also know some of my silkies are likely to be males as well, so I will be needing to find them a new home at some point too...anyone have any advice on what to do with them? I cannot possibly kill sweet baby chicks...especially 16 of them. I would feel like some sort of crazed murderer. What is the most humane way to kill them anyway? ugh...I so didnt count on this being a part of our chicken experience! I know I can just get the insurance on the package and not have the packing peanuts, but I am worried my 8 would be in danger without them (hence the need for insurance...) Whats a chicken lover to do???

Thanks all!

2. hannahransom

hannahransom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Lakeside, CA
    try to sell or give them away?

3. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I would take them to your local feed store or even sell them on Craigslist. This is what I do for the ones I don't won't or need to get rid of. Hope this helps!! Congrats on your new arrivals!! You will be very happy with Silkies! [​IMG] BTW...[​IMG]and [​IMG] from Oregon!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Craigs. Run a free ad saying you have chickens coming and you're getting 15 or 16 freebies. Free to good home kind of thing.

5. ChickenLVR

Jan 21, 2012
    Northern California
    yes...but who wants male chicks???

6. ChickenLVR

Jan 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Thanks everyone! Craigslist sounds like a good idea! I hope someone wants them!

7. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Oh, and keep them for about six weeks if you want- there'll be one or two accidental pullets in there and you'll be able to tell who by that age.

8. ChickenLVR

Jan 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Oh! Great idea!! So feather sexing isnt 100% then, huh? I am assuming that is how they sex them at ideal and "know" which to put in as packing peanuts?

9. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Put an add on Craigslist under farm & garden: "straight run chicks, $2 each"

10. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    When I hatch out red sex links I have MANY Male chicks. I put an ad on Craigslist for 0.50 a chick or 5 for $2. They usually sell pretty quick. You might get a female but that isn't that likely. Congrats on your new flock!

Nate

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by