What to do with packing peanuts???

ChickenLVR

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
Northern California
Hi everyone!
I need some advice! I have 8 silkie chicks coming from ideal next week to start our very first little backyard flock! The problem is, along with those 8 silkies will be 15-16 packing peanuts...and I am not sure what to do with them. That seems like an aweful lot. I definitely cannot keep them all (or really, any of them, especially once they begin to crow) I also know some of my silkies are likely to be males as well, so I will be needing to find them a new home at some point too...anyone have any advice on what to do with them? I cannot possibly kill sweet baby chicks...especially 16 of them. I would feel like some sort of crazed murderer. What is the most humane way to kill them anyway? ugh...I so didnt count on this being a part of our chicken experience! I know I can just get the insurance on the package and not have the packing peanuts, but I am worried my 8 would be in danger without them (hence the need for insurance...) Whats a chicken lover to do???

Thanks all!

I would take them to your local feed store or even sell them on Craigslist. This is what I do for the ones I don't won't or need to get rid of. Hope this helps!! Congrats on your new arrivals!! You will be very happy with Silkies!
thumbsup.gif
BTW...
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Oregon!

Last edited:
Oh, and keep them for about six weeks if you want- there'll be one or two accidental pullets in there and you'll be able to tell who by that age.

When I hatch out red sex links I have MANY Male chicks. I put an ad on Craigslist for 0.50 a chick or 5 for $2. They usually sell pretty quick. You might get a female but that isn't that likely. Congrats on your new flock!

Nate

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom