What to do with pallets

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WashingtonCowgirl, Mar 24, 2011.

1. WashingtonCowgirl

WashingtonCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Tenino, Wa
    Tell me (or show, pictures are always a good thing [​IMG]) what you have done with pallets in the past. We have 5 or 6, and always have the opportunity to get more. There HAS to be some creative uses out there! Right now I just use mine for teaching my dogs how to control where they put their feet, which really helps when we go hiking and stuff in the summer.

I stack them randomly 1 or 2 pallets high (sometimes three) I makes sure some have wider spaced boards, and others shorter, then take the dog over them a few times at a walk. When they are good with that, we go a little faster, and I mix it up by switching the pallets around, adding height, etc.

So what have you done with pallets?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Can make a mean picked fence out of them in no time. We did that every year to line our haunted trail.

3. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:They make great mini pens for broody hens and their babies, and good hutches for rabbits, and great compost boxes. I also tear them apart and use them as paneling in small projects, or repair patches where parts of wood had started to rot in old pens.

They make great obstical courses too for you, your kids, or for training your animals

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm trying to find some free ones currently to make a sectioned compost bins.

5. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Quote:I saw a video on YouTube that shows this guy making a chicken tractor out of them. Looked really nice after he was done. I just typed in chicken tractors and alot of videos came up on them and this one was the best. It runs like 9 minutes but you get the idea from that.

Rammy

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    You can find free ones all over the place; TSC and WalMart are good places to start...

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Oh, and I used a free one for the base of my little 'playhouse' coop. The plastic needed something to make it more stable.

[​IMG]

8. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:oh I love that!!!!

9. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    I live in a very beat-up, decrepit old ex-trailer. I've found I can take pallets, and take scrap wood and make a "deck" layer on the top of the pallet and so I have these modular deck pieces that make up a sort of a deck. They can be used in a line, or take 4 and make a big square area, as needed. They're pretty nice! I use water seal on them so they'll last, it's easy to find water seal and various wood preservatives at garage sales very cheaply.

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by