What to do with partially blind chicken?

Owenp_2

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
Middle of North Carolina
Hey everyone, I own seven chickens and right now I am in a pickle. I have no idea what to do with my partially blind wheaten maran hen who stays in the coop all day unless I startle her out of there (she will not let anyone come close to touching her). Yesterday a hawk swooped down on her and I noticed ever since that happened she has stayed in the coop. This concerns me because I just ran out of chicken feed three days ago and have not had a chance to get more. My chickens are free range so its not like I am starving them or anything. But anyways what should I do with her? I would hate to see her just sleep in the coop all day but if she leaves it she has an increased chance of being killed. My original thought was section her off with some silkie chicks that I may be getting soon. But now I am wondering if that is even a good idea. Maybe (and hopefully) you guys have some better ideas than me and please get back to me as soon as you get a chance.
Thanks,
Owen

She should be fine and will probably get over it. Unless you plan on eating her, I don't think culling for partial blindness is the 'best' way to go about it. Of course this is just my opinion.
Okay, no I do not plan on eating her so I guess she just needs to adapt to the changes she is going through and then she will be fine. Thank you for your feedback.

I have a partially blind hen who likes to flock with the 8 week old chicks. If you have a large brooder with chicks around 8 weeks old you could put her with them.
Oh that's great because I am about to get some older chicks and I thought about keeping her with them so she is not intimidated by the bigger ones!

Where are you located? I’ll take her! I have a completely enclosed, predator proof run and a coop that’s open 24/7 since they don’t need the protection of a closed coop at night. I am also at home 98% of the time due to being disabled. I spend a lot of time outside visiting with my hens when I’m not inside doing laundry or other household upkeep. She can be my lap chicken, lol!

Where are you located? I’ll take her! I have a completely enclosed, predator proof run and a coop that’s open 24/7 since they don’t need the protection of a closed coop at night. I am also at home 98% of the time due to being disabled. I spend a lot of time outside visiting with my hens when I’m not inside doing laundry or other household upkeep. She can be my lap chicken, lol!
I am far away from where you live and I am going to keep her as my full time mother hen. Meaning every time I try to hatch chicks or bring in smaller chickens I will keep them with her in a separate location where they do not free range all day and they will have fresh food and water 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom