11 year old blind hen

SamD

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2020
Granger Texas
So I have a very old hen, her name is Greta. Greta is now blind and weathering down to nada. But she hangs in there! I feel so bad for her because all of the other chickens pick on her that she hides out most of the time. The roosters are the same too. I have tried separating her from the others but she pretty much calls out for something or someone at all times. I don’t know what else to do. Anyone have any ideas? I feel for her and I can’t stand the bullying from the others. They will peck her head till she bleeds and it breaks my heart.

I’d separate her out, with a friend or two to keep her company. I had a blind Turkey that I kept with his sister. It worked very well for the pair. Please keep us updated!

Id separate her out regardless. Old handicapped birds need special care and shouldn't be bullied, especially to the point of bleeding. You can either make her a house chicken or make a separate space for her in the coop. I have kept old lone birds in the past and they do ok without the flock.

Good luck with your girl!

Back
Top Bottom