What to do with partially blind chicken?

I should say, I hate to sound critical, but even though they free range, they should always have access to the proper feed as well.
I agree! Normally they do but the feed store had to remodel so they have been shut down for a few weeks so I had to use every last bit of feed. But fortunately I just found out one of the other farming stores carries the exact same feed brand ( I am very particular about what brand I buy). But the point is yes they should have access. But thankfully they have been taking advantage of the 30 acres to roam.

@Chickenhappy8708 How's Amber?
@Owenp_2, you don't have to answer, but why can't you get more feed?
I just got some more but the organic kind that I get was at this one store in my town that was being remodeled but then I went to both tractor supply and southern states out on that side of town and they both had it. It was only for a few days and I didn't want to change their feed so I gave them lots of treats instead.

@Perris was it you that had a blind pullet?
yes, but she's not completely blind, she's partially sighted.

Can your girl see well enough to eat OK @Owenp_2 ? (That was the problem mine had, but we've got a work-around now.) I imagine your girl was spooked by the hawk attack, hence hiding in the coop, but will get over that, as others have said. But she will always be vulnerable to predation. She may not get on with youngster though, so perhaps it would be wise to develop a plan b ?

Hey everyone, I own seven chickens and right now I am in a pickle. I have no idea what to do with my partially blind wheaten maran hen who stays in the coop all day unless I startle her out of there (she will not let anyone come close to touching her). Yesterday a hawk swooped down on her and I noticed ever since that happened she has stayed in the coop. This concerns me because I just ran out of chicken feed three days ago and have not had a chance to get more. My chickens are free range so its not like I am starving them or anything. But anyways what should I do with her? I would hate to see her just sleep in the coop all day but if she leaves it she has an increased chance of being killed. My original thought was section her off with some silkie chicks that I may be getting soon. But now I am wondering if that is even a good idea. Maybe (and hopefully) you guys have some better ideas than me and please get back to me as soon as you get a chance.
Thanks,
Owen
Please just let her continue to stay in the coop; she is just trying to prevent the hawks and other predatory birds from killing her...and she is at a decided disadvantage due to her compromised sight. You might put some small amount of extra feed back...just for her BUT I do believe she will get over her scare and return to the run and/or yard.

yes, but she's not completely blind, she's partially sighted.

Can your girl see well enough to eat OK @Owenp_2 ? (That was the problem mine had, but we've got a work-around now.) I imagine your girl was spooked by the hawk attack, hence hiding in the coop, but will get over that, as others have said. But she will always be vulnerable to predation. She may not get on with youngster though, so perhaps it would be wise to develop a plan b ?
Yes, I don't think the chick thing will work out so instead, I think I will just try to let her live a happy life. The food I noticed yesterday she could not find in the feeder and she was way too stubborn to eat out of my hand so I finally got to pick her up :)D) (against her will because she hates me), and then I watched her roam in the yard and she did find food to eat in the yard but she spends most her time in the coop. But it is early on in her blindness stage so she is probably just adapting still.
Thanks for your input thought this was very helpful!

Please just let her continue to stay in the coop; she is just trying to prevent the hawks and other predatory birds from killing her...and she is at a decided disadvantage due to her compromised sight. You might put some small amount of extra feed back...just for her BUT I do believe she will get over her scare and return to the run and/or yard.
Yeah, yesterday I left the door open but she stayed by the food and water and slept but when I got her out of the coop she only wandered around if the rooster was beside her so I am hoping she can slowly start to get back into free ranging during parts of the day.

Back
Top Bottom