What to do with Rooster?

Ah I didn't get the Duramycin-10. After reading all the posts on respiratory issues...I purchased the Tylan 50 because it was listed as stronger. I figure better knock it out from the start.

She gave my Roo a shot of Batril. I really don't think she knew he was sick. He was right next to some of her prize birds is why I'm thinking she really didn't know. She offered to take him back or give him the shot. But I totally agree with what your saying. This has been a pretty frustrating and expensive experience thus far. Between buying the medicated feed, medicine, trips to town, and a heat lamp for the Roo..All costs that I was not prepared for.

She has offered to vaccinate my girls. I thought that was pretty nice.

Ah I didn't get the Duramycin-10. After reading all the posts on respiratory issues...I purchased the Tylan 50 because it was listed as stronger. I figure better knock it out from the start.

She gave my Roo a shot of Batril. I really don't think she knew he was sick. He was right next to some of her prize birds is why I'm thinking she really didn't know. She offered to take him back or give him the shot. But I totally agree with what your saying. This has been a pretty frustrating and expensive experience thus far. Between buying the medicated feed, medicine, trips to town, and a heat lamp for the Roo..All costs that I was not prepared for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrofloxacin

I'd like you to read this and do some research. I remember something about Baytril and poultry and right now this is all I can find. You need someone a lot smarter than I am with the use and dosing of the 'acme' strength drugs. I have only had to use a couple of them and Baytril isn't one of them. If you are allowing her to give some to your girls, you don't want to give them another antibiotic. Save the Tylan for something else.

Now the medicated feed is for Cocci. Not for anything else. I think someone else mentioned this on this thread as well. It's not a bad thing but it will not help with the respiratory issues at all.

But what is she going to vaccinate them for? That is a shot in the dark at this point. Unless labs/cultures are done you don't know what disease this roo has. I totally agree with Haunted55 about the hens likely already having been exposed. It's very hard for most people to do a real quarantine and bio security and anything less is not true quarantine, just being separated by distance. Poultry respiratory disease viruses can travel even on your clothing, shoes, skin, hair, you name it as well as being airborne.

The issue with Baytril is that it can result in birds carrying an antibiotic resistent form of camphylobactor which then can be consumed by humans eating the bird or eggs from a treated bird and getting sick with something antibiotic's may not help. As long as you don't plan to eat this rooster then that is not a problem for you. Baytril is a very good medication for respiratory diseases.

I think you are on the right track at this point and I'd keep doing what your doing.

Gotcha on the medicated feed. I just figured it wouldn't hurt for anything else that might be going plus it had the added vitamins.
I did some research on the Batril last night. Seeing as the Roo isn't going to be laying eggs ;) and we won't be eating him it's ok to treat him with it. Atleast that is how I understood everything I read. As long as there is no human consumption of the poultry its alright. So don't do anything with the girls if they get the vaccination tomorrow. Well I appreciate that. I will save the Tylan for another day.

Ah I didn't get the Duramycin-10. After reading all the posts on respiratory issues...I purchased the Tylan 50 because it was listed as stronger.  I figure better knock it out from the start.

If your rooster started off on Baytril, he should stay on it. Baytril is one of the strongest antibiotics used in animals. The dose I use is usually 15-20mg/kg by mouth for five days. If the person has the 10% Baytril, 15mg is .15cc's and 20mg is .2cc's. It can be given orally, IM or SC. Weigh your bird and figure out how much you'll need and have her give it to you, but please do not use it on anything that is not sick.

You should also know that it is one of the drugs that the FDA has banned for use in food animals, so he should never be eaten and the eggs from hens treated should not be eaten either.

I also forgot to ask. It was suggested that I put my Roo on Apple Cider Vinegar as well. I was told it's a natural antibotic. Should I put him on it and the girls or no? Thanks again all for your help. Otherwise I would be doing this blindly and my girls and new Roo mean an awful lot to me.

I also forgot to ask. It was suggested that I put my Roo on Apple Cider Vinegar as well. I was told it's a natural antibotic. Should I put him on it and the girls or no? Thanks again all for your help. Otherwise I would be doing this blindly and my girls and new Roo mean an awful lot to me.

ACV won't hurt them, but make sure you use plastic containers.

Back
Top Bottom