What to do with Roosters

I know that you are hoping that someone will have a magic secret to keep all the roosters. And we don't. Roosters take a lot of space, they need an experienced keeper. A lot of roosters are darling and such a pet at 8 weeks, and a flipping nightmare a few weeks later. They are tough to do well, and the more roosters you have, the tougher it is.

Rooster or bachelor flocks are often a suggestion, but even that is not a guarantee. They often will fight or have crowing contests. Now if that is 1/2 mile away, not too disturbing, if it is outside your house, someone is going to object.

Roosters are when romance of chickens meets reality as Aart is fond of saying, and that is true.

Thanks for everyone’s advice regarding roosters .
I am thinking , I have the space, I have no neighbours and I don’t want to get rid of them.
I am going to keep three roosters together in a seperate coop to the hens and hope for the best . It either works or doesn’t! 🤞

I am thinking , I have the space, I have no neighbours and I don’t want to get rid of them.
I am going to keep three roosters together in a seperate coop to the hens and hope for the best . It either works or doesn’t! 🤞

Sounds like a good plan for your situation :)
I think it's more likely to work well if the rooster coop is extra-big, because more space helps almost every kind of chicken issue ;)

Next time stay with a sex linked breed and that way you will only have pullets. Chickens can live to be ten plus years old. That is a lot of time and money an space.

@Cheryl lowe There are plenty of people here that keep rooster flocks and would be happy to to help you with this.

I keep a rooster flock of six with very few issues. At one point, I had 11 roosters in a flock, but I've lost some to disease (Marek's and cancer) and the others I've rehomed. It's not as difficult or nightmarish as some folks would have you believe. Roosters are widely misunderstood, which is really unfortunate because roosters are amazing.

So, please reach out if you have any questions or need advice or just wanna shoot the breeze about the awesomeness of roosters.

I have 28 birds in my new flock. Out of the 10 that we’re supposed to be pullets from tractor supply I got 6 roosters. Before I knew this I got 12 RI reds and 6 Orphingtons. I got the Orpington on a straight run hoping for a rooster. I have at least one of those. BUT, of the 10 I got originally which I think are comets, but I’m not sure, because they are supposed to be sexlinks but I got 6 roosters.
I have been trying to figure out which one to dispatch first. The most aggressive one I pick up and he is so docile and then he hangs around me. He’s only aggressive to the other chickens. He did go after another rooster for picking on others so I’m considering my decision, even though he chases others.

I have been trying to figure out which one to dispatch first. The most aggressive one I pick up and he is so docile and then he hangs around me. He’s only aggressive to the other chickens. He did go after another rooster for picking on others so I’m considering my decision, even though he chases others.

Have you picked up others, to see if they are equally docile? Being aggressive to other birds can certainly cause problems later.

Do you have another place you could house some of them temporarily? (Maybe something like a dog kennel on the other side of the house.) Because then you could remove some roosters, watch how the remaining birds interact, and use that to help make final decisions about which ones to butcher.

Leave him with the hens and make a Batchelor pad for the rest if you don't want to keep them together (all the roo's) I have 7roo's mine thankfully all get along and have there pecking order already they are 19wks I have 6bantam and 1leghorn the king of the roost is a bantam as funny as that is my leghorn will run from the bantam its so funny but really its up to you good luck

@Cheryl lowe There are plenty of people here that keep rooster flocks and would be happy to to help you with this.

I keep a rooster flock of six with very few issues. At one point, I had 11 roosters in a flock, but I've lost some to disease (Marek's and cancer) and the others I've rehomed. It's not as difficult or nightmarish as some folks would have you believe. Roosters are widely misunderstood, which is really unfortunate because roosters are amazing.

So, please reach out if you have any questions or need advice or just wanna shoot the breeze about the awesomeness of roosters.
Thanks for you positive thoughts . Am sure it won’t be plain sailing but that’s life! Am sure il have lots of questions ! 🤔

Back
Top Bottom