What to do with Roosters?

Phantom_k9

Songster
Oct 29, 2019
North Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Out of the 5 birds we let our hens hatch this year, 4 of them are all but confirmed to be Roos. I know, how unlucky can you get? Well, they are starting to cause problems and we need them gone. This is the last big hurdle for me as a chicken tender before I leave for college next month, but im at a dead end. ASIDE FROM EUTHANASIA, what can I do to get rid of these cockerels? We've posted pictures of them on five mile to see if we can get any hits, but we haven't gotten anything yet. Any advice?

I would put them up as free. Some people wouldn’t buy a 10 dollar rooster, unfortunately. The reason I said pullets is because sometimes I have luck in putting up a pair and selling it for a bit more than a hen.
Only reason he have them for that price is because we've had issues putting up birds for free. The crowd that is drawn in by the word "free" tends to not follow through with the deal.
The hatches were hatched in a group of two and a group of three. The group of two has a for sure pullet, and the group of three has one we are 50/50 on; so putting them up as a group might be feasible. As much as I want to keep the pullets, we need to get rid of the cockerels.

Could you put up flyers in your local feed store? Facebook? Craigslist? Even word of mouth can work. We got several roosters from a friend at church who just wanted them gone so we butchered them.
We have them up on a site called Five Mile, works like Craigslist. If I have some time today I'll put them up on a bunch of other sites as well. Not sure about the feed store, haven't seen fliers there before.

Back
Top Bottom