What to do with roosters

I know it really isn't funny but, it sounded that way to read about the hens sitting , and eggs exploding. I'm surprised they would ever want to sit on eggs again.

We eat ours. I look at it that the boys had a great life enjoying the sunshine, company of other chickens and well kept housing.............that's more than the grocery store chickens get.

I keep the roosters that look fantastic, and I only give them to someone who needs a great rooster for breeding purposes. I have given away some rather plain ones with no questions asked, e. g., a Mexican worker for a contractor who did some concrete work for me; remember, there are a lot of hungry people out there.

We have found homes for 2 roosters. One went to keep another rooster company. I drive by now and then and see the two happily free ranging together. I found the home through word of mouth at the feed store. The other is going to be amazing and is now happily living with his own hens. I found his home through craigslist.

I presently have 3 roosters. The head rooster and two of his offspring. The offspring have to go. I posted on craigslist this week and will hang a sign at the feed store and I mention them to everyone. I am not sure what we will do if I cannot find a home. We may end up making a boys only quarters in a back shed. I cannot imagine trying to eat them They are silkie crosses and tiny.

I was at Tractor Supply yesterday and there is someone who works there who will take the "boys". He has 26 acres and lots of chickens and other animals. I'm hoping there will only be about 4 roos in the batch. Although he said that it's usually 60/40 in favor of the roos. I'm hoping to keep this from happening again by not letting the hens go broody - IF I find where they are hiding out. I would have to be totally desperate to process one of my hens or roos. And that would be to feed my dogs - not myself. The direction this country is taking I can see where that wouldn't be an impossible thought.
sad.png

Also the guy at the TSC said that caponizing them still won't "cure" them of wanting to fight.
About the exploding eggs - when I moved the new mom and her brood and three unhatched eggs to the rabbit cage - she no sooner got settled on the eggs when one of them "popped". You should have seen the look on her face. I got it out in a hurry! YUCK!
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom